Chapter 30 - Guns out, Dumbs Out

"Boss, you're awake!"

       I open my eyes steadily.

"How long was I out?"

I try to speak without struggle, but the lump in my throat holds me back. My whole body feels heavy, as if being chained to the ground. I struggle to make my movements appear effortless and easy, but I manage to do so nonetheless. I can't show any sort of weakness in front of Hayato. After all, I am his protector.

"Just an hour or so. Your friend was very worried, along with the rest of the children."

"Her name is Emma, Hayato. Thank you for taking care of me. We must get back to the group."

"But Boss, shouldn't you rest!?"

"No. I've gone without fainting nearly a month now, this is just a small inconvenience. And also, I believe I allowed you to call me Margaret if you wished."

"But that's not your real name, Boss..."

       Hayato hesitates to speak his last sentence, and I can maybe think of why. Unlike Emma, Hayato tends to keep to himself when around me, although his personality when around everyone else brightens the room. I wonder if maybe he doesn't like me? Am I too strict on him? I'm strict because I care. He knows that.

"It might not be my real name, but that's what you may call me. I'm going to require a conversation with Emma about her calling me by my... old  name."

       And with that, I leave the room and close the door behind me. What's gotten into him?

-

"YEAH!! LET'S ALL GO THE HUMAN WORLD!!!"

Emma smiles at the determination of all children when being revealed the hard truth. Lucas had been lying to them, claiming there were human communities outside where they could all escape to so they wouldn't turn the guns on themselves when faced with the harsh reality. But now the harsh reality doesn't seem so bad. Her family's growing, after all.

"Are you okay, Emma?"

      Violet asks the red-head. 

"Huh? Oh, I'm just relieved. When we revealed that there was no human community, none of you got angry about it. I've seen it happen before, so..."

"Of course not."

 Violet interrupts her. Although she doesn't smile, she does display gratefulness in her voice.

"We're happier that there is a Human World without monsters instead of a human community where we have to hide from them."

"I was a bit frustrated about the lie."

Pepe reveals plainly. Paula and Nigel agree with him, yet none make a fuss. 

"But in the end, we believe in Lucas."

Emma wipes away a tear with her sleeve. She didn't know what to expect from them all, but this is better than any best-case scenario she could've come up with. This is opportunity.

I walk the halls with my head held high. Norman requested I carry around a cane to help me walk in case this happens, but I say he's crazy. A walking stick? Is he serious?  How old does he think I am, sixty!? I'm in very good physical condition, I exercise daily, I do not require the assistance of a metal stick. Thank you, Norman.