Chapter 12 - A Peaceful Death

1, 2, 3, breathe in... 4, 5, 6... Breathe out? I can't breathe... It's so hard, Mom. My head hurts when I think.

Where am I?

"Emma."

I manage to understand a boyish voice say. I can't quite make out who it is, and opening my eyes or even moving my head just makes me nauseous.

"There's no need to worry. All she did was take the rope."

That same familiar voice exclaims with a happy tone, as if he were talking to a small child.

"But that's not the point!"

"You don't have to give up on this. Your leg will heal. N/N will wake."

"No! That's not it, Norman! We can't let you get shipped!"

I open my eyes, though it hurts. Norman... Emma?

"Norman... Emma..?"

I manage to pronounce with my weak lips and closed-again eyes.

"N/N!"

One of them shouts, however I don't know which of the two did.

"Oh my god!"

Emma shouts excitedly. Hearing her voice convinced me to open my eyes for good this time, and even turn my head! Once I did, I saw she was lying in the bed besides mine. Is she injured? Did something happen while I was gone!? No, no, no, crap! This is all my fault!

"N/N,"

Norman starts, "are you okay? How do you feel?"

"I feel... awesome."

I respond with a grin. Emma and Norman laugh a little, probably out of pity, which I don't really like.

"Do you remember what happened?"

"What happened? What do you mean?"

He turns to look at Emma, and she looks at him. It's always morse code with these two.

"I'm going to go get Mama. You stay right there!"

He says quite seriously.

"Don't know where else I'll go, but got it."

A few minutes after Norman leaves, Ray comes in the room. And when I look at him, it all comes back. All the memories, all the lies, all the feelings, all the hate.

He stares at me, not saying anything.

"N/N, we have to tell you something."

Emma says as she looks at me. She then turns to face Ray, who gives her a disapproving glare.

"I know."

I say quietly. It's as loud as I can be.

"What?"

"I know. I know about the house, about Mom. I know everything. I always have."

I can't bring myself to look at her. I can only imagine the shock and betrayal that's showing on her face- in her eyes. But I've just had a near-death experience, and it really made me think.

What am I doing? Why am I lying? Why am I here?

All these years, I've just been watching as the rest of my siblings get unknowingly shipped out, led straight to their deaths. And worst of all, I just let them. Worst of all, I wanted to become a Mom. I wanted to be the person that walked them through the forest, opened up the gate, lying through her gritted teeth.