Chapter 14 - The Girl Without a Name

"We can't let N/N get shipped! We have to hide her here, in the forest."

"Emma, I already told you, that won't work. Outside the wall is a cliff, she can't fake an escape. They'll look for her here."

The three look at each other without an answer to any of their questions. They don't know what to do.

Norman finds that it was way easier to look the other way when it was him being shipped, but now that it's someone he loves, he understands why Ray and Emma were so angry when he returned from the forest earlier today supposed to have run away.

"She can't leave the farm. There's nothing we can do."

Ray tells the group. The gingery-ball of delight springs up from her helpless bed position into a more inspired bed position at the achievement of an idea!

"Ray, that's it! That's what we're going to do!"

"What?"

The two boys ask her simultaneously. Their voices synchronize like music to Emma's hears.

"N/N doesn't have to leave Grace Field! She'll just switch farms."

Ray jumps out of his seat. It's crazy.

"But then what about Norman? Even if N/N does escape, he'll just get shipped out later. One of them is getting shipped either way."

"Norman will just join her early in the morning. Ray, you'll break an arm and catch a cold like we talked about earlier! No one has to get shipped or die! It's so crazy that it just might work!"

Emma's smile almost manages to lighten up the whole room. Almost. Norman sniffles and wipes the tears of his eyes using his sleave.

"Norman, what's wrong!? Are you okay?"

"Y-yeah."

He says between muffled sniffs and silent cries.

"I'm just so lucky to have you guys. Ray's breaking a limb for me and N/N. Emma, you're strategizing with a broken leg and N/N is sacrificing herself for me."

Hearing that, Emma lets the tears she knew were waiting leave her eyes.

"Norman, we're always here for you! We won't let you or N/N get shipped out!"

-

Ray cups my face in his hands and places his lips on mine.

Wow.

I have no choice but to push him away.

"Shit!"

He backs up and puts his hands in his hair. He massages his forehead, which is what he tends to do when he's stressed, and lets out a long-awaited breath. He walks awkwardly past me to a tree which he climbs and hurries down off of with some rope-like bedsheets which I take are mine to use.

"You're not going to die, F/N. We won't let you. You're going to climb this wall and you're going to go to the farm to the right. TO THE RIGHT, got it? Hide in the forest near the wall, away from the gate and the orphanage. Norman will meet you there in the morning, just be careful, okay?"

I don't say anything, I just nod. He hands me the rope and runs away without saying anything else. He completely ignored what just happened. Changed the subject.

Okay then, N/N. Let's do this. I'm not going to die- not yet.

"I'm such a dumbass."

Ray repeats in his head over and over again. Emma and Norman have distracted Mama long enough, he hopes, but she'll be wondering where F/N's gone.