Chapter 9

Surely enough, Audra seemed to turn back into the natural rhythm of things a few weeks after her accident.

Even though what happened to her was exceptionally strange, Pierri Fondi still was able to work his magic. It made sense, after all. Audra's exceptionally strange illness could be cured only by an exceptionally strange Healer.

Audra pondered these ideas to the extent that she rammed into Beta Monilia while bringing fresh prey back into camp.

Audra wobbled backward a little and tightened her firm grip on the scry stick connecting the prey together. Normally, it wouldn't be such an issue if prey fell back to the ground, but these jackshrews were bloody and could cause quite a mess all over the foreign beta.

She sighed in relief when she steadied the prey, but just as soon returned to her state of alarm at the sight of the beta.

A menagerie of silvery-blue all the way to a dusty brown decorated Monilia. Her intricate dark brown suit was most likely ruined. Her expression fit the situation quite well- mostly annoyed, with perhaps a sparkle of amusement rising from the depths of her dark eyes.

"Oh, darn."

Audra quickly bent down and extended her free hand. Monilia hesitated for a second, and then decidedly accepted, gingerly avoiding the sharp claws that were custom to Audra's kind, the earth wolves. Steadily, Audra pulled her up from the ground, trying to ignore the side eyes and winces from the passerbys simultaneously.

"It's alright... Audra? Yes, that is your name, I think. It was bound to happen eventually, what with me carrying paint around in my nice clothes as if I were some ignorant pup."

Audra cast her eyes down. It hurt to hear her admit that they were, in fact, nice clothes, even if she was Saux's aunt.

Suddenly, her gaze shot up to meet the beta's. The younger woman's heliotropic-colored eyes widened into saucers.

"Saux told you about me?"

A small smile played at the elder woman's now crystal-tinted lips.

She then bent down and, with one hand, picked up a nearly empty canister of paint, using her free arm to start wiping her face with the loose ends of her sleeve.

"Come, now... You must admit you are a little strange. To me, you earth-types, are well... For every hair on your body that makes you violent, there are two hairs that make you predictable."

Audra felt a small chill of indignation scurry up her spine.

"That is somewhat of a generalization."

To hide her crossness, Audra bent her head down and picked up the rest of the canisters. She was about to hand them back, when a label on one of them caught her eye.

" 'Cantus Vermis'? Isn't the mage of that place human?"

Monilia furrowed her brow and gingerly scooped the canisters' handles away from Audra.

"Yes... but I'm confused on how you know what that castle is, much less who the owner is."

Audra strained to keep from rolling her eyes.

"Our Alpha likes us to be educated, even- especially about the kooks outside of pack area."

Monilia chewed her bottom lip and briefly nodded, a thousand-yard stare suddenly overtaking her dark eyes.

"But the books- well, nevermind, Audra. I'm sure Alpha Aleron knows what will suit his pack the best."

"Naturally," Audra said with a confident smirk.