Epilogue

Four Weeks Later

"I'll put one hand in the air
I'm closing my eyes
My whole heart's beating for the first time. That boy here in town says, "Darlin', just drive. " I swear the gates of Heaven just opened up wide."

🌹🌹🌹

The mother stood in the center of the flower field; the colors seemed more vibrant this year than ever.

She plopped down amongst the purple wildflowers admiring the rose buses, two now.

"London, the roses are back." She spoke out of habit; she turned her head to the side, half expecting her little girl to be sitting beside her.

Instead, she heard a car in the distance and saw a little blue car slowing as it grew closer to the field.

"You're finally here."

The radio in the car was blaring, and the pretty young driver was singing and smiling, one hand in the air. Next to her sat that adorable boy who was so devoted to her.

She slowed and stopped the car, and he got out first, then ran over to open her door.

Good boy, she noted.

He handed the girl a box and she took it carefully into her arms. She kissed his cheek and whispered something in his ear, and he nodded, and sat back, waiting to give the two of them their moment.

She then turned and smiled as she walked toward the mother...

....well, grandmother, waiting for her in the field.

"Leondra! You're glowing! Are you feeling as good as you look?" Stacey asked as they drew closer to each other.

"Better every day," Loni was all smiles as she carefully handed off the box to Stacey. "Here she is."

Stacey took it and held it close to her. This wasn't how she imagined London returning to this special place, but she was glad she was here.

"Welcome back, Sweetheart," Stacey said out loud. "There are two rose bushes this year; we waited so long for the one to return, and now look."

She carefully set the box by the bushes as Loni approached to look closer.

"My gosh!"

"What is it?"

"It's a pink rose bush," Loni said. "That's my grandmother Elizabeth; we always felt like the pink rose was her sign. I think she and my grandpa are here to care for London on her way home."

"That's beautiful!" Stacey sobbed, and Loni quickly embraced her. They'd spent a lot of time together her since the surgery. She'd begun spending as much time at the hospital as Kit and her husband Luca. Leondra was finally released a week ago.

They stood for several moments in peaceful quiet, enjoying the field and feeling the presence of London.

"My mom let me, by the way, I'm guessing you helped?" Loni rolled up her sleeve to show her.

She'd tattooed the heart of London sketch on her inner wrist. Stacey lifted her own sleeve and showed Loni she'd gotten the same tattoo on her inner wrist as well.

"I told her how much I'd love for us both to have them and I knew she'd agree," Stacey smiled. "I think she may get one too."

"They look perfect," Loni said as they held the matching tattoos close and admired them.

More cars came and broke up the quiet moment.

"It's time." Loni said.

She waved and nodded to Manny, who started walking towards them carrying his guitar.