Chapter Seven

"What happened to you? You look terrible," Dr. Gupta said bluntly as Gus drug his tired self into the hospital.

"Fought with Jenny," he explained, although that was only the tip of it. He'd had nightmares about that night, and it kept him up all night.

Dr. Gupta let out a little tsk sound but offered no advice. He'd been a great mentor to Gus but was never a fan of Jenny. Dr. Gupta felt she needed to be more supportive, and maybe he was right, but Gus wasn't there for her enough, either. They were at crossroads in their relationship, and he didn't know what to do. It didn't help that he didn't even have time to sit and think about it, either.

"Well, clear your head. It needs to be fresh. We're adding you to the Donato case."

Gus nodded; he expected as much. After all the effort to get out from under his dad's shadow, this would put him right back in it. The experience would be priceless, though, and he knew that.

"Head on up to cardiology. Dr. Morgan is checking in with Loni and her parents now, but her team is meeting in her room next door."

"Okay, I'll head right up. Thanks, Dr. Gupta."

He hurried to cardiology and found Lissa talking to a teenage boy in the waiting room. He had a box of donuts next to him on the table. Along with a gift bag, a box of chocolates, and some flowers.

"Hi, Dr. Blake," Lissa greeted him. She was still in the same clothes, so they'd likely spent the night.

"Hey, Lissa. Ninja kick any vending machines this morning?" Gus asked, and she shook her head and giggled.

"Nope, didn't have to; Manny brought donuts!"

"I see that," Gus noted.

"Is it okay that I brought Loni this stuff?" Manny asked Gus.

"She can't have the chocolates yet, but everything else, sure! It's nice to brighten up those boring rooms."

"Okay, thanks," Manny said as he ran a hand through his hair. "I hope I can see her today. The other doctor said it depends on how she feels after they talk."

"If you want, I can take your number and text you when she can see people," Gus offered.

"No, it's okay. I'd rather just wait here." His eyes darted toward her room for a moment.

"Hiya Shorty!" A booming voice called from behind.

"Grandpa!" Lissa cheered as she bounced off her chair.

Gus turned to see an older guy in a backward hat and a loose flannel walking up. He must be the mom's dad, as Gus recalled the doctors talking about how the dad's dad had died years earlier in this hospital. He scooped Lissa up and hugged her before setting her back down.

"This is Dr. Blake," Lissa introduced the two. "This is my grandpa, Stone."

"How is Loni this morning?" Stone asked.

"I'm just getting in, but I'll let you know as soon as there's an update," Gus offered.

"Do I know you?" Stone asked.

"I don't think so," Gus said, taking a step back from the strong scent coming off him.

"You look really familiar... ever come into Willow Grill?" Stone tilted his head and studied him.

"No, I frequent the bar closest to the hospital."

"Must just be one of those faces, then," Stone shrugged it off and sat next to Manny. "Here already? Good kid."