Chapter 4: Thanks for the Scrumptious Meal, It Was Delectable

Start from the beginning

"That's all I ask, Lana. I am once again in your debt. Thank you."

A profound sigh of relief found its escape within me. Earning someone's trust was indeed a laborious task, yet the reward was undeniably fulfilling. Now, it was imperative to maintain consistency with the narrative I'd spun for her.

"You certainly are an oddity, Mr. Emberus. A Weaver who possesses a surname and yet treats me with such warmth," she mused.

"In my land, extending kindness and respect to women is a basic decency, and bearing a last name doesn't necessarily confer any special status..." I explained.

"In Vindaris, the city of my upbringing, surnames are a luxury afforded only to the nobility. Those capable of weaving usually hail from noble or affluent lineages." Her words seemed to confirm the notion of this realm being reminiscent of a "sword-and-sorcery' world as the deity had mentioned. The societal structure here appeared to resemble medieval Europe, with a rigid class hierarchy.

"It appears this land vastly differs from my own... Ah, this is excellent," I complimented, savoring a gulp of a beverage Lana had poured for me. It was called Silken Brew, its refreshing bitterness intriguing to my palate.

"Moving forward, Lana, would you care to share how you ended up captured by the brigands here?"

A frown formed on Lana's face, and she nodded solemnly.

Her father, Leo, was a merchant rooted in the city of Vindaris.

Vindaris was a member of a coalition of city-states lining the edges of the expansive Lake Lumeos, forming the collective known as the Lumeos Concord. Leo, despite amassing considerable wealth, often journeyed in person with his caravan along his trade routes, with Lana accompanying him as his aide.

During one such journey, the bond between father and daughter not just metaphorical but also reflected in their shared profession, they found themselves under the assault of brigands. This event unfolded in the early hours of the morning, just a day before my unexpected arrival in Dravus.

Encounters with brigands were not an uncommon ordeal for Lana and Leo. As Lana recounted, such unfortunate meetings punctuated their travels regularly - one in every three trips, approximately. The brigands typically demanded a third of their goods and coin, deeming it a 'fee' for passage through their claimed territory. I found a third to be a steep demand, but Mora explained that it was comparable to the tolls local lords levied on well-secured routes. Regardless, such additional costs were accounted for in their goods' pricing.

However, the most recent encounter had deviated from this pattern. The brigands had demanded a complete surrender of their possessions. Leo had the foresight to employ mercenaries for the caravan's protection, but they weren't equipped to repel a whole group of determined brigands. Unsurprisingly, they yielded without resistance. Yet, the brigands' greed was not satiated. Dissatisfied with merely taking Leo's belongings, they kidnapped Lana, demanding a ransom of five thousand gold coins for her safe return.

"And after that, they brought you here?" I questioned.

"Yes... This is an unprecedented experience for us. I suspect the brigands altered their behavior after that Black Weaver assumed leadership," Lana replied.

In Dravus, it appeared that weavers were not only rare but were also regarded with fear due to their overwhelming power. The mere association with one was sufficient to transform 'peaceful' brigands into unabashed plunderers.

According to Lana, my arrival had been mere hours after hers. One could argue it was fortuitous timing, providing me with the opportunity to intervene on her behalf.