Old habits die hard

Chapter 12

Dream was fidgeting outside the door, reconsidering everything. He was about to take Lana to preschool and drop her off by himself. The thought was terrifying. This isn't something he was equipped to do.

Eventually the door opened and George appeared, looking frantic and holding two different bags.

"I'm running late." George breathed out, handing the black briefcase to Dream, and turning around. "Lana! Dream's here! Come on, let's go!" He was still holding the pink backpack.

"Dream!" Lana came bolting through the door, no shoes on and her hair unbrushed. She hugged his leg and he bent down slightly to hug her back.

"I have to go, Lana where are your shoes!" George said, realising and panicking.

"George, it's fine. I'll sort the shoes and hair. You go." Dream said, as Lana continued to hug Dream's leg.

"God. I don't even think she's had breakfast. I've been so stressed all morning and we've had to get ready earlier and-"

"George. Take a breath. You'll be fine. How about you give me your house key and I'll get her some breakfast and lock up before we go to school." Dream said.

"Ok. Yes. Please excuse the mess inside. I hate this bloody apartment and it's just disgusting inside." George shuffled through his pocket and handed the key to Dream. "This is going to go horribly. Do I look ok?"

Dream swallowed, looking at George's outfit. He looked great. Buttoned shirt, tight black pants, hair combed back and a tie hanging from his neck.

"Good." Dream croaked out. "You look good." His eyes looked at the pink bag. "Except for the bag." He chuckled, handing over the briefcase and swapping it for Lana's backpack. George's eyes widened when he realised.

"Oh God."

"George, you'll be fine. Go."

"Alright. Yes. Bye, baby have a good day at preschool." He bent down to kiss his daughter on the cheek. "Bye Clay." George stood upright and reached out to press a kiss against Dream's cheek before he rushed away.

Dream stood there frozen for a good 30 seconds until he realised Lana was pulling on his hand.

"Dream, I'm hungry." She whined.

"Alright let's-" He cleared his throat. "Let's get you some breakfast." He let the little girl pull him back inside the apartment as the door shut behind them.

"I want Lucky charms!" She said, pointing up to the box sitting on a high shelf in the kitchen. "Please." She added as an afterthought.

"Alright. How about you go find your shoes, hairbrush and some hair elastics while I make you a bowl, huh?" He said. She grinned and ran away, and Dream put her bag down on the floor before grabbing the cereal box.

He was on autopilot as he made the cereal, still thinking about George's departure. He had kissed him. On the cheek. And called him Clay. And it made Dream shut down on the spot. Did George even realise he did that?

Dream hated how he knew his way around the kitchen despite never having been in here. He knew George liked to keep his bowls in the cupboard closest to the fridge, and his cutlery in the draw beneath it. Nothing has changed except the location. And how often Dream has been here.

"I'm very good at doing my velcro." Lana announced herself as she walked back into the kitchen, putting her hairbrush on the floor next to her as she sat down to do her shoes.

"I can see that." Dream put the bowl down briefly to crouch down to her level. "But, your shoes are on backwards, silly." He said, helping her switch them around and do the velcro tightly. "Still want your cereal?"