After the third test, he stopped feeling sick the next day. Everything about the experiences started to become second nature to him. He was starting to be able to comprehend some of his writings, even when he wasn't on the pill. Practice makes perfect. He told himself, the first time something had clicked while he was sober. He hated the word sober. He didn't think it described it properly, and made him feel as if the drug was merely recreational. It was so much more to him.

He had drawn a new picture of his wife and daughter, and thrown the first ones into a drawer. He looked at them less often with every passing week. Sometimes he hated himself for it, but more often than not his mind was too consumed to think about it. Both on, and off the pill, he devoted his time to his writings. He thought that one day, if he could break-through some barrier, he could get himself to his plateau, without the pill. Then, he could finally escape this place. Then, he could do anything. His family would understand, if they knew what he was going through, he hoped.

After the first month, the testing was upped to twice a week, and the more time Michael spent with the knowledge, the more he craved it. When he wasn't on the pill, he drove himself mad trying to remember and recall the feelings. He read everything he could to do with pharmaceuticals. If the effects of anything else eventually cause long term "damage", he hope the long term effects of the pill would be the knowledge, always being with him. He began to stray away from the Michael he once knew, but he didn't seem to be seeing it.

One morning Michael had gotten the idea to build himself a radio from some appliances he had taken apart. He was getting extremely smart while he wasn't on the pill, but it was never enough to him, and he didn't notice the changes happening to him. He was putting pieces together and wasn't paying attention to the mirror, when the General came in. He caught Michael building it and confiscated all the parts Michael had, and they took everything out of the storage room too. Michael nearly lost his television too. The General told Michael if he caught him doing anything like that again, he would take everything away, beat him, and have his family killed. Michael hated him more and more with each passing week.

Michael had gotten used to playing games of chess by himself. The key was to stay objective, and not pick a side to favour. If you started to favour one side, that side was sure to win, and the challenge was gone. Michael was playing a game when Jim came in with his lunch cart. Michael had grown fond of the times he got to spend with Jim.

Jim seemed to be envious Michael for the knowledge he was gaining, not an a malicious way, but in a curious one. He was inquisitive, and asked Michael as much as he could about his experiences, whenever Michael would open up. It wasn't as often as Jim would have liked, but Michael didn't want to take to risk of anybody knowing he was messing with the tests too much, for Jim's safety, as well as his own.

Michael decided today he would give Jim something more, though. He needed something from him, so it was only fair. He turned his chair from the desk and reset the chess pieces. "Jim, have time for a game?" Michael asked.

"I'd love to, but you know I don't have the time. The guards wait for me." Jim answered back.

"It won't take long, Jim. And if we don't finish, I'll leave it set up for tomorrow." Michael said, and Jim took a seat in the small chair beside his desk.

"Jim, if you had one thing you wished you could do, what would it be? Besides getting out of here." Michael asked, as he moved a pawn, and Jim followed.

"I don't know, that's a hard question to answer on the spot. I might need some time to think about that one. What do you mean? Like, anything? Like, magic?" Jim asked and Michael moved another piece.

"Anything at all." Michael answered. Jim looked at the board.

"I'd have to think about it... But maybe being able to tell the future, or read people's minds, or maybe fly, but if you mean realistic, I'm not sure, how about you? And why do you ask?" Jim seemed curious. He moved a chess piece.

"I just wanted to see what your answer would be." Michael looked at Jim as he made his move. "Are you sure you want to do that?"

"I'm never sure, especially playing against you." Jim said, and Michael moved a piece.

"Check-mate." Michael said, and paused. "Never make a move unless you're sure about it, Jim. That's something I learned back in the army. If you act without thinking, or too quickly, you'll get yourself killed, and even if you do win, somehow, you won't have learned anything. If you aren't certain, always take the time to think and decide carefully. Move then, only when the answer comes."

"That makes sense." Jim said.

"If you want to fly Jim, maybe you will one day. Maybe we both can. I'm going to need your help, though." Michael said, mysteriously.

"What kind of help do you mean?" Jim looked nervous.

"Just information, Jim. Any information... and the password to my wing." Michael said, knowing Jim wouldn't like that idea.

"Michael... I can't. They would kill me if they found me snooping, not to mention if you were caught out, they would know it was me who gave you the code."

"They wouldn't know it was you for sure, unless one of us admitted it, or you get caught red handed writing it down."

"How? How am I going to get the password?" Jim asked, desperately. Michael could tell he didn't want to be asked this.

"Just wait, Jim, and when the time comes, make your move." Michael knocked Jim's king piece over. "If there I've realized, there aren't many things in this life that are impossible."

Jim looked back at Michael for a minute. Michael didn't know if he would do it, but Jim caved.

Jim looked up at Michael and into his eyes. He knew why he wanted the code, and would need more of them.

"I'll do it, Michael, but then it's up to you to find anything else you need... And as my reward... When you figure out how you're going to go...You're taking me with you." Jim made him swear.

"I will." Michael promised.