"But, you are our special guest. It could be worse, you just don't see it yet. I think it's about time you learned just why you're here. Let's go for a walk." The General said, and walked towards the door.

"I think I'll stay right here, thanks." Michael wasn't budging.

"I think you'll walk with me. Or I can force you." Gus and Henry stepped out from the hallway and showed themselves.

"You're a real tough man, standing behind your men. I know they can't hurt me. They're trained dogs, and you're trying to make me into one too. Well, you'll have a harder time getting this dog to do tricks for you."

"You're smarter than you look, management would prefer if you didn't get harmed and stall progress. This is an expensive operation, after all, but, make no mistake, I can hurt you. It would be a set-back, but relatively minor. Walk with me, and, as you said, we won't hurt you. You know the rules."

The General left the room. Michael didn't know what to do and then Jim's voice stuck out in his head for a moment. "It's not worth dying over." He heard him say. Michael got off the bed and went out the door. The General was in the hall waiting.

"You're not really in a position to play hard-to-get. It'd be better if we didn't have to go through that little dance every time I come to fetch you. It will be easier on both of us, mainly you though." The General threatened.

Fetch me? He does think I'm his little pet. Fuck that.

He led Michael to the door and entered his password. Michael tried to see what he entered in, but the keypad was covered all around by a thin steel barrier, and his effort was fruitless.

The General led him to the courtyard they had passed before, through the halls, and into the glass room. When they walked in he noticed that there was a table set up in the middle of the yard. On it was a tiny bottle, some books, a glass of water with a straw, and a pencil and paper. He looked around the whole yard. Now he saw the video cameras, they were in every corner of the courtyard, covering every angle of it. There was a pond, and there were trees growing. If Michael hadn't been in the circumstance he was in, he would have thought it was beautiful. The waters in the ponds looked clear and cold and it like you could drink from them. The trees were green, mostly pines, Cedar, Spruce and Hemlock, and among them were a few Red Alders, Aspens and Willows. There was grass around the edges and a patterned stone path went throughout the indoor garden. It was a large room. The trees grew right out of the ceiling which was giant panes of window, everywhere except where it met the trees, which then turned into a rubber material that sealed the trees to the glass, but gave way for the growth. It looked like it could slide open like a car window. Michael had never seen anything like it. There certainly is a lot of money behind this. He remembered not seeing the building until they were basically inside it. It must have been the trees growing from the middle that hid it so well. He noticed there were about a dozen people in another small room with a massive glass window who were watching him. They were mostly wearing lab coats, but a few wore expensive looking suits. The ominous people behind the glass, staring at the rat in the cage.

"Here we are, Michael. It's quite the view, isn't it? And, it's all for you." The General grabbed the bottle from the table.

"And for them." Michael gestured towards the people behind the glass.

"Don't worry about them, they're just interested spectators, and I didn't mean the room, I meant this." He put out his arm and held the bottle up.

The bottle had one little pill in it. It was half blue and half white. Michael felt a nervous tinge in his stomach. That is what they ruined my life for... That tiny little pill. He grabbed the bottle from the General's hand.