12. Eyes Like Rubies

When Mom told Lily casually that we were leaving the palace, I expected her reaction to be something drastic. Perhaps something like falling onto her knees and covering her mouth with shock.

But she only clasped her hands together and breathed, "Oh, finally!"

So now the three of us are brainstorming inside my room – our default meeting palace where we cook up our schemes, I suppose – on how to carry out our escape plan without getting caught.

Well, Mom and Lily are planning. I'm just lying on my bed pretending that I'm not listening to them.

"Mm, these areas are patrolled regularly at all times, but there is a crack in the defenses during the change in guards..." Lily is saying seriously while pointing out demarcated areas on a large map.

Apparently I've severely underestimated the gossiping power of maids, let alone the head maid of the Ruby Palace. Granted, the palace is only one in name and is crumbling apart by the day.

Lily has a vast supply of information that is jaw-dropping, and coupled with Mom's insider knowledge thanks to, at one point, being the emperor's (I refuse to call him even by his name, hmph) lover, we're making good progress.

I dig through what I recall of The Lovely Princess, hoping to scavenge some useful details, but all I'm dredging up are useless father-and-daughter scenes of Jennette and Claud – excuse me, the dirtbag emperor who abandoned his daughter and lover.

I'd be lying if I say a pang of jealousy doesn't shoot right through my heart when I think of the two of them, especially now that I've met my biological father, who is even worse than a sperm donor, but I don't let myself dwell in that envy for too long.

Because...

I smile to myself.

I have Diana and Lily.

They are enough for me.

Lily's voice turns thoughtful as she suggests, "Based on what we've pooled together, getting out through the doghole in the garden seems the best, but we should know its exact location..."

I can imagine her brows furrowing as she thinks deeply.

"Ah, I know! My lady, why don't you inspect the garden with Her Highness? You can disguise it as an outing with her so it looks less suspicious."

"Hmm... That may work. We can play a game of hide and seek. I can pretend I'm trying to find her as I search for the doghole," Diana muses.

"Mm-hmm!"

There's silence for a few moments.

"But my lady, is something lingering on your mind? You still look rather troubled..."

"What's worrying me is the journey to Siodonna... I don't know if Athy can withstand it."

"A child's body is not that frail, my lady. I'm more worried about our finances. We have to buy tickets on a ship to bring us across the ocean, and we also need money for lodging. Plus, three females traveling alone together also draws unnecessary attention from nefarious people like bandits, so I'm hoping to hire some merchants to guard us..."

"Ah, I've saved up some money over the years. Also..." There's a rustling sound. "I would like you to pawn these for me."

"But, these are –"

"I know." Diana's voice sounds sad, even resigned. "I kept these because I wanted to remember the beautiful times we spent together. I suppose there isn't any point anymore... Not when I have someone more important I need to protect." Mom's hand brushes my hair tenderly.