5. He Did What?

I don't know what I was expecting to find, but it certainly isn't the sight of Diana laughing and Claude resting his head on his hand, gazing at her with something that isn't quite affection but at least it isn't hatred either.

Is my mother an actual angel? How did she manage to defrost my glacial father in a matter of moments? Claude looks almost... human now, instead of the raging lunatic that he was earlier.

Diana's eyes flicker to me when I enter hesitantly.

"Athy, my darling! Come sit beside me." She scoots over so I can sit beside her on the couch.

I move to take a seat, but pause. Claude's stare is boring a hole into me. Should I greet him? He is Obelia's emperor, so it'd be rude if I don't, right?

Ugh, whatever, let's just greet him quickly!

I curtsy awkwardly, saying in a rush, "Greetings to the Sun of the Obelian Empire."

Diana giggles. "Indeed my daughter is the most adorable little muffin!"

The adult in me cringes. I'm not a muffin, Mom!

Claude doesn't say anything and just sips his tea.

I shuffle to where Diana is sitting and plant myself down beside her, trying my best not to glare at Claude. I think I fail because he looks at me somewhat... curiously.

What a huge change from his earlier animosity. And yes, I do remember him calling me a filthy bug and no, I will not be forgetting that anytime soon. I can't let down my guard around him because the moment I do, it can mean death.

Diana certainly has no such reservations. I'm not quite sure how she did it, and the only possible explanation is that she is a fairy who has thawed even the icy exterior of the cruelest man known to history.

Now that I've gotten over my initial shock, I survey the room.

The carmine drapes have been drawn to allow sunlight to filter through the floor-to-ceiling windows, and Claude's desk is made of solid mahogany wood, with a golden lamp on it. Stacks of paperwork, a quill pen and an inkwell are splayed across the tabletop.

Claude is certainly a hard worker, which is a surprising fact given how lazily he dresses.

And in front of the dress is the seating area for guests, no doubt, and also where I'm currently at. The low table in between the armchair that Claude is lounging on and the couch Diana and I are sharing is occupied by tea and some refreshments.

My mouth waters when I see the assortment of colorful macarons, frosted cupcakes, bite-size cookies, soft madeleines, fruit tarts and baked pies. Their scent is divine, making my stomach rumble loudly.

Claude waves a hand. "I heard from Felix that children like sweets."

Is that his way of telling me to dig in?

Still a bit suspicious, I gingerly take a strawberry tart and pop it in my mouth. An explosion of flavors emits a squeal from me. This is heavenly!

I've missed eating sweets ever since my tooth fell out, so I begin eating with gusto, all my previous misgivings evaporating into thin air.

Diana chuckles. "Eat slowly, Sweetheart."

Claude makes a contemplative noise. "You're certainly a strange one. One moment you were threatening to rip off my balls if I so much as 'harm a hair on Athy's head', and the next you're fawning over your daughter like a mother hen."

I choke on the macaron I'm eating, tears springing to my eyes.

What did Claude just say? No, more importantly, what did Mom threaten to do?!