6. Parents Are Such Mysterious Creatures

The moment I open my mouth, it's as if I've also opened a dam and words start flowing out of me impetuously.

"Mister –" to hell with calling him my father " – you can't let Mama move in with you!"

"Why?" Claude asks boredly.

Ehhhhh I haven't thought that far yet!

My mind whirring quickly, I blurt out, "Because Mama is a terrible cook and she is bad at laundry and the only thing she is good at is dancing! When she sings she sounds like a dying goat –" that part is definitely made-up " – so you don't want Mama to live with you!"

"Athy!" Diana exclaims, sounding mortified. And a little bit wounded.

Oops.

"But Mama is very pretty and also the best mama Athy could ever ask for!" I amend hastily.

She melts. "Aww... My daughter is too filial," she coos, her momentary hurt forgotten.

A smirk plays around Claude's lips. "Is that so?"

"Yes!" I practically shout, my shoulders heaving.

That should do the trick, right? He'll take back his offer, right?

"For some reason my interest in your mother has only been piqued."

My jaw drops.

That sly bastard!!!

He snickers. He's actually enjoying seeing me all riled up!

"You – you – meanie!" I yell, frustrated. I can't curse at him because I'm a kid, and also because he's a heartless murderer who treats humans like they're flies to be swatted down.

I can imagine his reaction if I swear at him.

You have a rather foul mouth for a child. Wash it with some acid and lava!

Claude schools his expression into his usual apathy. "So be it, if you wish to refuse my offer."

It takes me a while before I realize he's referring to inviting Diana over to stay at his palace.

"I merely tossed it out on a whim," he continues.

I glance at him suspiciously, trying to detect any lies in his words. Trying to hear if he's disappointed that Mom rejected him.

Diana just sends him a smile that doesn't meet her eyes. "I doubt it. You are the most thorough person I know."

"... So you still hold onto the belief that you are my lover."

And we're back to square one, I think. I'm also just a bit miffed that Claude invited me here but is blatantly ignoring my presence. Like okay, sure, just go ahead and have a conversation and pretend I'm not here.

Actually, on second thought, this isn't too bad since I can stuff my face with the sweets while they're busy talking.

"I don't believe it, I know that I am your lover. Don't you?" Diana asks softly.

"I find you interesting enough that killing you would be a pity, but you would do well not to mistake that for affection." Claude's arctic eyes, devoid of any feelings, are the only warning he needs to send. "You're alluring enough that there may be a spot for you next to me as my concubine, but the seat of the empress will never be yours."

"What if I told you that you once got on your knees and begged me not to leave your side? What if I told you that we once planned out our futures together and you promised I would always be your only empress? Claude, don't you wonder what is the extent to the truth of my words? Whether they could be your reality, and not the delusions you make them out to be?"