Chapter 5

"Willow! Willow, wake up." Darry's voice was strong and weak at the same time. I was drifting in and out of consciousness. My head hurt. I sat up abruptly. Darry's arms settled me.
"Thank god, kid. You're okay. don't scare me like that."
"Where am I." I asked him.
"You were attacked. Remember that Jesse kid. His gang decided to get revenge."
My arms hurt and I looked over at Grace and Nat. Grace had been badly beaten her eye was bleeding and her dress was cut up at the bottom. Pony was holding her tightly as she sobbed.
"Grace, no one will hurt you when I'm here. I promise." Ponyboy reassured her. Grace was holding on to Pony like her life depended on it.
Nat was cut up bad. Her shirt was gone and blood dripped from her head. her defined cheekbones stained with tears. Soda held her like a baby. She was still unconscious. He was crying and pushing her golden hair away from her face.
Darry finally let go of me as Steve came running towards him. His nose was bloody.
"They got away. Hey Willow, you're up." he kneel down beside me. Helping me up to my feet. Sirens wailed in the cold silent night. Closer to us, the noise came, closer and closer. Three appeared, Nat was loaded in and Soda rode with her, Grace was escorted by Pony to the other.
"You okay to go with Steve, Will? I need to go tell Two-Bit and Bailey."
Darry asked
"Yeah, I'll be fine."
I climbed in to the back of the ambulance. Steve helped me up because my legs had fallen limb. He had always been there, always. I began to feel something for him I had never felt before. As he lay me down on the ambulance bed, I wanted to tell him. But I could not fall for Soda's best friend. He brushed my hair from my eyes.
"You know that you didn't deserve this, you deserve only the best boy in the world who will treat you like the girl you are. The amazing, beautiful and sweet girl you are." he blushed as I smiled.
"Thank you, Steve." I leaned towards him. With out thinking my lips were against his. Soft, strange but right. That's all I remembered as I blacked out again.

My eyes felt heavy. The light was too bright and my eyes wanted to close. I forced them to open. I was in the hospital. Darry was asleep on the chair, he had not slept in days. A nurse came in.
"Oh good, welcome back."
"Where are my friends? are they okay?"
"Yes, You all should be out in a few days." She replied.
Darry woke up.
"Willow! Thank god, stop scaring me okay?" He grabbed me holding tight.
Darry stood up.
"I'm going to get the Boys and food. will not be too long."
Darry left. Leaving me alone, Steve came in. Leaning against the door frame, he looked at me and sighed.
"I thought I lost you in the ambulance."
I smiled
"No, you will not lose me again."
He walked over and sat down on the white sheets. brushing my hair sways from my hair. He kissed me, Like he felt how I had in the ambulance. I felt like I was falling, down but I didn't need to get back up because down here the world was the same but different. His hands ran up my jaw line tracing it. We heard Darry coming back. Steve sat back down. Soda and Pony were with Darry. they all ran towards me. Embracing me tightly. Out of the corner of my eyes I saw Steve leave. For a minute we sat there wrapped around each other.
"Soda, how's Nat?"
"She woke up in the ambulance. Now she's doing fine."
"Pony, is Grace okay?"
"She's more than okay, she's mine."
I squealed and hugged Pony. We all hugged again. When they left, I feel asleep.

'Earlier that day'
Grace's P.O.V

I woke up to a white wall, my vision was blurry. All I remember was the gist coming at me. Full force, I flinched thinking it was real. a warm hand grabbed mine settling my nerves.
Ponyboy's voice spoke to me
"Good Morning, Grace. I'm glad your not dead."
I laughed "You're the best, Pony."
His sweet eyes looked down on me and I sat up. He sat down on the bed, still holding my hands. I smiled
"Thank you."
His hands fell on my knee as he leaned in. Our lips met. Gracefully and calmly they settled. Pony moved away.
"Grace, will you be my girl?"
"Yes!!" I grabbed his face and kissed him again passionately.

Willow's P.O.V

Steve. Who knew it would be Steve? How should I tell Soda. Darry will kill him. What the hell do I do? I don't know. But I do know I love him and that's all I need to know right now.

Nat's P.O.V

His touch. His smile full of reassurance. Him. Sodapop.
His eyes were tired, I could tell he had not slept.
"Soda..." I weakly said.
He stood up and over me. brushing the hair from my face.
"hi, how are you. do you need anything?" He said softly
"Maybe some food." I just noticed how hungry I was. He stood up.
Oh... and you. I need you."
He sat back down. Staring blankly at me.
"No, I need you. When you did not respond to me. I cried. When I could not do anything to help me. I cried. I need you." He hugged me.
I smiled and fell asleep on his arms.