Chapter 45

"Suddenly, they heard something down the hall, in the dark. It came into the torchlight. And they knew that the blade of wing fun was haunted!" Sokka jumped up from the ground and pointed his sword at the fire.

The five of us were sitting around a fire in the woods during the night. Sokka decided that it would be entertaining to tell some scary stories, because of course that's the best thing to do during the night surrounded by trees and wild animals.

"I think I liked 'The Man with a Sword for a Hand' better," Aang told Sokka.

"Water Tribe slumber parties must stink," Toph commented.

"They don't if you know how to tell a story properly and actually make it scary," I said as Sokka sat back down next to me.

"I'd like to see you try and tell a story," He said, looking over at me.

"No thanks, I don't want to think about ghosts while we're surrounded by whatever is out there in the dark,"  I told him.

"Aw, are you scared, Princess?" He asked me with a playful smirk.

"I'm not!" I said, hitting his arm in reply.

His smirk widened and I rolled my eyes.

"I've got one. And this is a true Southern Water Tribe story," Katara told us.

"Is this one of those 'a friend of my cousin knew some guy that this happened to' stories?" Sokka asked his sister.

"No, it happened to mom," Katara said.

I felt Sokka straighten next to me and I grabbed his hand.

"One winter, when mom was a girl. A snowstorm buried the whole village for weeks. A month later, mom realised she hadn't seen her friend Nini since the storm. So mom and some others went to check on Nini's family. When they got there, no one was home. Just a fire flickering in the fire place," Katara spoke.

I felt Sokka pull me closer to him and he clung onto my waist.

Who's the scared one now, huh?

"While the men went out to search, mom stayed in the house. When she was alone, she heard a voice. 'It's so cold. And I can't get warm.' Mom turned and saw Nini standing by the fire. She was blue, like she was frozen. Mom ran outside for help, but when everyone came back, Nini was gone,"  Katara said.

A shiver ran down my spine at her story.

"Where'd she go?" Sokka asked.

"No one knows. Nini's house stands empty to this day. But sometimes, people see smoke coming up from the chimney, like little Nini is still trying to get warm," Katara said.

Suddenly, Toph gasped.

"Wait. Guys, did you hear that?" Toph asked.

I then felt three pairs of arms wrap around me and I frowned at Katara, Sokka and Aang holding onto me.

"I hear people under the mountain, and they're screaming," Toph told us and my eyes widened.

"Nice try," Sokka said, pulling away from me.

"No, I'm serious, I hear something," Toph insisted.

"You're probably just jumpy from the ghost stories," Katara said.

"It just stopped," Toph told us.

"All right, now I'm getting scared," Aang mumbled.

"Hello, children." We heard a voice behind us say.

We jumped up from the ground and ran over to Toph. For some reason, the four of them hid behind me.

"Why are you all hiding behind me?!" I whisper-yelled as we stared at an older woman in front of us.