Chapter 21

Mira

We've been flying on Appa for days. After our encounter with Zhao in the Earth kingdom we decided that it would be best if we just headed straight to the North Pole.

"I'm not one to complain, but can't Appa fly any higher?" Sokka asked Aang. "Not one to complain, yeah right" I scoffed quietly while rolling my eyes.

"I have an idea. Why don't we all get on your back, and you can fly us to the North Pole" Aang said with a glare. "I'd love to. Climb on, everyone. Sokka is ready for takeoff" Sokka said, wiggling his butt. I sighed.

"We're all tired and cranky from flying for so long" I said. "And for what? We can't even find the Northern Water Tribe. There's nothing up here" Sokka told us. I crossed my arms.

"Excuse you, Mr "I know the map of the world" but there is actually-" I began but I was cut off by a splashing sound. We all held onto the saddle and Aang tried to steer Appa away from the water. We were about to fly into the air when some ice caught onto Appa's leg.

Appa fell into the water and my back hit the saddle. I stood up quickly and looked around as boats came towards us. "Guess the Northern Water Tribe found us" I said, smirking over at Sokka who had a grumpy look on his face.

"They're all waterbenders!" Katara exclaimed as she looked at the dozens of waterbenders circling Appa. Aang explained that he was the Avatar and that I was the Guardian. They simply nodded and
we started to make our way to the Northern Water Tribe.

I leaned against Appa's saddle and was about to say something when I felt something cold hit the back of my head. I turned around and saw a boy my age holding a snowball in his hand. He smirked up at me and I lifted my hand to use my waterbending. However, Sokka grabbed my wrist. "I don't think the Northern Water Tribe would like you to attack one of their members."

I sighed, agreeing, but narrowed my eyes at the boy who simply laughed at my reaction. Aang suddenly stood up and pointed ahead of us. "There it is!" He yelled out with a grin. "The Northern Water Tribe." Katara smiled softly at the view.

Sokka and I also stood up. "We're finally here" Sokka said. I stayed silent as I looked at the big wall made of ice. The waterbenders created a hole for Appa to get through and another set of walls appeared in front of us. "I can't believe how many waterbenders live up here" Katara said.

"Yeah, male waterbenders" I mumbled. I hoped that the rules have changed in the past century but by the looks of it, I doubt they had. "We'll find a master to teach us no problem." Aang smiled at Katara happily.

Appa swam down the river that lead us through the huge city. The three of them looked around in wonder but I simply crossed my arms and hung my head down low.

"Don't you want to look at the view?" Katara turned around to look at me. "Nope. I've already had enough of this place and we haven't even been here for five minutes" I replied. Katara frowned but didn't say anything.

We saw crowds gather on the walls of the city and Aang waved at everyone in sight. We turned down another street and Katara spoke up. "This place is beautiful" Katara admired. I felt Sokka leave his spot next to me and I frowned.

"Yeah. She is" I heard him say. His words made me stand up quickly and I saw him stare at a girl with white hair. For some reason I felt jealous so I turned around and stared back at the saddle.

◇ ◇ ◇

We were brought to the palace for what the chief called "a big celebration". The four of us sat at the table next to the chief. I sat in between Sokka and Katara and looked around at the palace. It hadn't changed much which wasn't very surprising.