Chapter Two

"Welcome to Lumenaria," Councillor Fallon said. He stood up from the round table they were all sitting around. "And we thank you profusely for coming."

"Oh, get on with it," King Urezrog of the ogres snapped. "We're here to listen to you go on and on about why we shouldn't kill each other. We get it."

Audrey's jaw tightened. Urezrog had lost the most warriors of any of the intelligent species in the war; he of all people shouldn't disdain peace.

Alder the Alnus of the gnomes adjusted his grassy tie and smiled a green-toothed smile that seemed more sinister than most gnomes. "I think not killing each other sounds like a good idea."

Urezrog snorted.. "Of course you do. Weak little gnomes, always the ones to call for peace."

Alder sat up in his chair. "We are not weak. Need I remind you who won the Battle of Brackendale?"

Urezrog spat across the table, making Alder recoil in disgust.

The human leader, Sargon of Akkad, rolled his eyes. "Seems like this peace summit is getting off to a great start."

"Really," Empress Zyra of the Trolls agreed under her breath.

Urezrog glared around at all of them. "I prefer to avoid having my authority being questioned."

"No one is questioning your authority," Fallon interrupted smoothly. "We simply - "

"Simply what?" Urezrog demanded. "These negotiations are pointless. We shall never come to an agreement. It's not how the world works."

"It can be how it works if we all choose to make the change," Fallon insisted. "The principle is simple: You don't attack us and we won't attack you."

Urezrog rolled his eyes. "I won't attack unless I am attacked, sure, but I don't trust some of these"- he eyed Sargon, Empress Zyra, and the goblin leader Queen Fiolm suspiciously "-respected leaders to not attack."

"And therein lies the reason we are seated here today, in an attempt to negotiate treaties. We can agree. It might take a while, but we can."

"We must," Audrey added quietly.

Fallon looked at her. "Exactly. So can we agree that we must not leave this fortress until treaties have been signed and get on with the proceedings?"

"Yes," said everyone but Urezrog and, surprisingly, Sargon.

Urezrog sighed. "Fine. I won't leave until I've signed a treaty, but the treaty won't give you everything you want."

"As is your right," Fallon agreed. He turned to Sargon. "And you?"

The human folded his arms. "I want your assurance - all of your assurances - that these treaties will not interfere with the expansion of my empire and my use of my power source."

The entire table exchanged a glance. "Power source?" Audrey asked finally. None of them were quite sure what that meant.

Sargon frowned. "Forget I mentioned it."

Audrey, Fallon, and Fintan exchanged a glance. Sargon had made an important slip. Now they had to find out what he meant - before the other Intelligent Species did.