Chapter 18 - Don't Sound like a Zombie

"I'm so glad he's okay," Sarah whispered after she opened the door for Michael and saw him holding a sleeping Kael.

Michael looked exhausted.

"Geez, Michael, you look like you're gonna pass out. How long were you running around? Do you want me to take him?"

Michael nodded, handing him over. He leaned against the doorway to rest.

"Strawberries..." Kael murmured.

Sarah blinked. "My shampoo," she explained.

A couple fireflies blossomed around them. Sarah's eyes widened, staring. She reached out for one, like she had in the dream.

Michael gently pushed her hand down. "Don't touch them. They're real fire," he said, sucking an old burn on his finger.

"Ah, I see." She held Kael close, glancing at the living room. Her dad had fallen asleep on the couch. He snored softly. Sarah glanced back at Michael. "I'm sorry, Michael. I tried to get her to stay, but she insisted she should look for Kael too. I wasn't sure if you had found him yet, so—"

"Nothing to apologize for," Michael whispered, scratching Kael's ears. Kael smiled even wider and curled sleepily into the crook of Sarah's neck.

"Right, but if I stopped her, you could get some sleep."

Michael paused. "Oh." He glanced at her. "You're worried about me?"

Sarah flushed, but he didn't sound teasing, just genuinely trying to clarify. She shifted Kael's weight and nodded. "You look exhausted, so yeah. I mean, I get it. I'll hold down the fort while you go look for her." She smiled reassuringly. "I'll call you if she comes back."

Michael nodded. "Thanks, Sarah. He can sleep in my room. Your dad can go home, if he'd like."

Sarah shook her head. "I don't think he'll want to leave me and Kael by ourselves. We'll all stay put."

"Okay." He walked out but turned back to her, resting a hand on the door to keep her from closing it after him. "Seriously, Sarah, thanks. I—uhm—My brain was telling me some bullshit earlier, and you stopped it."

Sarah opened her mouth to ask what he meant by that, but he went off to look for Lynette.

Sarah shrugged, closing the door with her hip. Once she locked it, she turned to figure out which of the three bedrooms was Michael's. She guessed it probably wasn't the master, though there wasn't anyone sleeping in there. She slipped into the next bedroom. There were racecar posters up on the wall, and quite a few action figures neatly lined up on shallow shelves. A small desk with a small chair was in the corner, and a bunk bed stood alone on the other wall. A curtain hung from it, but was drawn to the side, letting her see a book shelf with a bunch of blankets and pillows on the floor. Fairy lights with plastic planet toys taped over them hung on the other wall.

She closed the door and peaked inside the next one. This seemed more like Michael's bedroom. A bed with a black quilt and pillowcases, one dresser, and a simple desk and chair. A pair of jeans and a jacket hung over the back of the chair.

Sarah gently set Kael down on the bed. He yawned in his sleep and stretched out like a starfish. She smiled and went back into the living room.

Another hour passed, but she couldn't sleep. Maybe it was because of her dad's snoring. Maybe it was because she wasn't in her own bed in her own room. She yawned, rubbing her eyes. It's definitely because I'm worried.

She kept glancing at the door for a hint Michael was behind it. She looked at her phone, but no messages. She glanced over at the coffee table. It bothered her that it wasn't centered in the room, until she realized it was probably placed there so Michael could get to the wall easily.