Chapter Eleven

Beginne am Anfang

Girls at school fawned over the Turner twins and it seems one lucky lady landed one of them.

"Hope you don't get into any trouble with the law while you're back in town. I don't wanna have to use my cuffs on you," Dale emerges from behind Kaden with a teasing glint in his brown irises.

"No, not at all officer Dale," I raise my hands in surrender. "I'm a law-abiding citizen," I wink.

"That's chief to you," he chuckles, giving me a tight hug.

"It's so good to see y'all," I step back, my eyes settling on the one person I didn't want to run into.

The genuine smile slips off my face and I replace it with a small smile. "Hey, Sar," I walk towards her, the atmosphere becoming tense.

The guys stop laughing and smiling, shifting uncomfortably from foot to foot. They avert their gazes, def not making this more awkward.

"Hi, Telana," her brown curls bounce subtly as she walks towards me hesitantly. We exchange a brief, uncomfortable hug.

"Long time," I say stiffly, unable to formulate an adequate conversation starter.

"Mmhmm," she hums in agreement, a tense smile dancing across her freckled face. She tucks a wild curl behind her ear, her wedding ring glinting under the bars' lights.

"You got married. Who's the lucky man?"

"That would be me," Dale pipes up proudly, wrapping a loving arm around Sarah-Lynne. "Once I landed her in senior year, there was no way I was gonna let her go. She's the best wife and mother."

"Congratulations," my lips tug up in a smile. "Y'all have a kid?"

"Three actually."

"Oh, that's... nice."

Sarah smiles tightly.

"Our eldest daughter, Luna, is five. Our second, Charlie, is two and our third, Josephine. She's a new addition to our family, she's only four months old," Dale says proudly, kissing the side of Sarah's head.

"Are they with your parents?" I direct my question to both of them.

"They're with my mama. I can cart baby Jo around anywhere, she's still on the tit but I can't bring a baby into a bar. That would be wrong."

"Right," I clap my hands together in front of me ineptly. I hoped the tension would ease by now but no.

"Come with me!" Asher booms, grabbing my wrist and dragging me to the bar. Slicing through the tension. "You gotta do shots with me. For old times' sake."

"Okay," I happily agree, needing something to ease the lingering awkwardness.

I take a shot, banging the glass against the bar and I smile, loving the burning sensation settling in my stomach.

I probably should've stopped drinking after that, but I went for another and another. With the mentality of, what's the worst that can happen.

I caught up with mostly everyone.

Asher and Kaden started their own business, renting out boats and kayaks to tourists. They're doing decently considering Tybee is a well-known vacation spot.

Dale is now the chief of police. I never even knew he wanted to be a police officer growing up. He seemed to have no problem breaking the law, but people change.

Sarah and I hardly spoke. She left after the fourth shot of tequila. My fourth shot, not hers. Turns out, she doesn't work. She chose to stay at home and take care of her family. I commend her for doing it.