15: Engagement Party II

Start from the beginning

"I appreciate, but that's too much," I say, my tone slightly conflicted.

"Since when did it become too much to bash that goat?"

"Since I matured and realized there's no point in insulting him... life happens, and people make decisions—"

"Miss maturity, I didn't drag you to this spot to come and defend your stupid ex... if I say he's a fool, then he's a fool. I want gist on Deji," she asserts, her annoyance fueling her words.

My mood shifts, and I'm slightly pissed. "There's no gist on Deji. Stop rooting for us. There's nothing there, I promise," I reply with a touch of frustration.

"And you people came here? Looking like a couple fresh off a magazine, and he's calling you 'my baby girl'," she remarks.

"Idia, all he did was pick me up. Deji looks like he just wants to fuck, and when he gets that, he'll be on his way... and honestly, I don't mind. Or will a Yoruba man change his way overnight?"

"You and who want to be doing shags for free here? Aren't you tired of fuckin' people without emotions or exclusivity? You're too pretty for that," she says, spicing up her words with a touch of concern.

"I know, but I like it that way. I don't think I have the mental capacity to fully commit again. Men will show you shege made specially by the devil. Also, don't act like I'm fuckin' random people, it's usually men with status and class who do amazing things for me,"

"Okay? But money isn't everything,"

I give her a side eye. "Says the girl who's marrying the heir to an oil empire," I retort, adding a touch of playful sass.

"Yeah, but if he wasn't sweet and didn't do heartfelt stuff for me while we were dating, I wouldn't have even said yes to the proposal," she confesses, her voice filled with satisfaction. "Beverly, there's something about having a man to go home to," she dreamily continues, "A man that'll listen to you rant about a bad day. A man you'll fight and make up with, you know that tension that comes with making up is so amazing. A man who is intentional about your feelings, not just sex, sex, sex like he's working for Pornhub,"

I chuckle. "I don't need that," I reply, a hint of defiance in my voice.

"Are you sure you'll not follow me to church on Tuesday? My momsi's church is doing this program where they are—" The bartender interrupts us as he places two glasses of whatever-he-just-mixed on the counter in front of us.

Idia grins and excitedly picks up her glass, ready to indulge. I grab mine and take a sip, relishing the tangy flavor as it slides down my throat.

She takes a moment to savor her drink before continuing our conversation. "Ehen. Bev, I'm serious. You deserve someone who will treat you right, not just in bed but in every aspect of your life."

"Idia, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but honestly, I don't see anything beyond a physical attraction with Deji. He's charming and fun to be around, but I'm not looking for anything serious right now," I deadpan, my tone laced with a touch of defiance. "I don't want to feel like I owe you a favor to date him... so, really, there's nothing there. Who even says he wants to date me?" I add, injecting a hint of dismissal.

"Oh please, Beverly. Have you seen yourself? Men are practically lining up just for a chance to be with you. You're a magnet for attention,"

"Well, if that's the case, then maybe Deji is just another name on the list. Someone to scratch an itch and move on. No strings attached," I say, adding a pinch of nonchalance to my words.

Idia shakes her head, a knowing smile playing on her lips. "You can deny it all you want, but deep down, I think you secretly want more than just shags with him. There's a connection there, I can see it," she states, her voice filled with conviction.