9: Bad Decision

This chapter was so HARD to edit, that's why it took forever to finish 😭😭😭 the least you can do to motivate me is share your amazing thoughts and options in the comment section... and leave a vote at the end. I'm exhausted and while I go off to get a glass of Pinã Colada, I'll leave you to enjoy the chapter.

Signing out now, love you guys, byeeee ✌🏼😗✌🏼

. . .

Beverly

My morning is ruined. Why would he do this? Why would he make me revisit us? Why did he think it was okay to want answers on the spot? It's fine to want answers but God! Not like that! He just kept saying the right words in the wrong manner— more like he was forcing me to unravel things on the spot and I didn't like that because everything came rushing back and I hated that 'never-going' effect he still had on me.

I don't know which is worse, the fact that I can still smell his fragrance on the wrist which he held or the change in his light brown orbs when I'd eventually stared into them in the bid to challenge him. It lacked that spark... the one I fell in love with. It lacked Umar. Something, I believe, I am to blame.

After he walked out, I couldn't join Shalewa in the meeting because my mental state was fucked, it was like I bruised him when I blurted out those words, and truth be told, I did feel a pang of guilt, because if there's one thing I remember he hates, it's when something strings into his 'dirty past' but abeg! He overreacted to the question. It was rhetoric and bound to roll off my tongue when he stupidly offered that invite.

His tone was genuine, there were no ulterior motives but this is a married Hausa elite who if I'm seen with him (especially at a hotel) will attract the wrong reports.

"275..." I unconsciously murmur.

Hai! God! Me, I'm a fool sef. Why do I have the number retained?

I sigh, emotionally defeated.

I'm screwed up at the moment, I don't know what I feel for him but anger seems to be in the lead.

I'm mad that I still care about him and that a part of me would have followed him if his approach was right, but how on earth did I expect his approach to be right when the grounds on which the conversation stood were wrong?

A mess, that is what he is and so was our relationship. It's dead. It's gone. I'll jejely move on from this encounter and pretend it never happened.

I start to inhale and exhale. Continually saying: "It's all in my head. It didn't happen. He wasn't here." But I know it did happen, this is cheap gaslighting that will not work.

My phone dings and a notification displays on the screen:

Deji
Lunch?

I am disappointed that it is not who I want but glad it is, at least, Deji.

Me
Not really

Deji
Boooo!! You're boring 👎🏾

Me
🙄😂😂

Deji
Come meet me at The Buka... they make the best Abula in Abuja
Let's bond over our Yoruba heritage

Me
Such blackmail, but nahhh

Deji
Whyyy 😭

Me
I'm having a bad day

Deji
Fair enough
Send your addy. I'll send the food to you
The aroma alone could cheer you up 🙃