Chapter 20- Keefe's POV

'Laughing on a park bench..'

It was already 1 pm the next day, but Keefe had skipped school. He hadn't even left his room all day.

Gianna hadn't talked to him, and he hadn't talked to her. 

Keefe was busy typing up his resume, which was mostly full of fake, but impressive things. Such as, he had never gotten first place in his grade for academics, Fitz had always beaten him.

But Carter Industries didn't have to know that. 

He also put down his position in football, and a bunch of made up jobs that he had never had before.

Keefe peered over it one more time, tempted to call Alden Vacker, Fitz and Biana's father, for help. Alden was part of the government, and had helped Fitz with his resume, which was considered extremely impressive.

Alden was more of a father than Keefe's own father was. 

Someone knocked on his door, and he sighed as he set down his paper. He trudged over to his door, not even caring that his room was a disaster, and he was wearing nothing but a pair of sweatpants. 

"What do you want?" Keefe asked, looking at the figure standing in the doorway. She looked as emaculate as ever, with her hair pulled back in a tight bun, and formal clothing. 

Lady Gisela's mouth curled in disgust as she saw the state of Keefe's room, and Keefe himself. Keefe almost smirked at his mother's discomfort. 

"I'm going to wait outside, and when I knock on this door and I expect your room to be clean, you lookig presentable, and to greet your mother correctly."

Keefe rolled his eyes, and closed the door, kicking some things on the floor under his bed. He grabbed a sweatshirt, and pulled it on over his head, attempting to smooth out the wrinkles. 

He went to open the door again, this time, putting on a wide, fake smile. 

"Hi, how can I help you?" he said mockingly. Lady Gisela crossed her arms over her chest, and huffed. 

"Why aren't you at school?" she asked sternly. "You won't get anywhere in life if you keep doing this. Getting detention's every week, missing school, getting a low score on finals. You have nothing to you that any company or job is going to want. If you don't pick up your grades, you will be worthless to both your father and I, and any job oppertunity whether its working at Starbucks, or the CEO of Google."

"Cool. So, what do you want?" Keefe asked. It wasn't the first time his mother had said something like that to him, but every time she did, Keefe felt a little part of his heart crack. 

He should be used to it by now. But he wasn't. And he didn't think he would ever be. Keefe could count the number of people that cared for him on his fingers.

"I'm making a resume. So please, leave me alone." Keefe said, feeling a spark of joy when his mother's eyebrows shot up. 

"You- you are making a resume?" she said, her eyes wide. Keefe rolled his eyes once again. 

"Yeah. I'm trying to get that internship at Carter Industries."

Understanding, and something that looked like approval flashed in her eyes. She held his gaze, as if searching for any sign of a lie. 

"Don't screw it up." was all she said, before promptly turning around, and shutting the door behind her. Keefe stared at the door his mother had just exited from, before shaking his head.

-time skip-

Keefe nearly fell out of his chair when his bedroom door burst open. 

"Jeez, can't you knock?" Keefe asked, annoyed, as he picked up his fallen papers. Gianna strode in, and snatched the resume papers out of Keefe's hand. 

"Your trying to get an internship at my parent's company?" Gianna asked incredously as she looked through the papers. 

"Yeah. So what?" Keefe asked, trying to take the papers back. She stepped away, and he stood up, facing her. "And stop looking through my stuff." 

Keefe was nervous. Those paper's weren't just his resume. He had drawings in there. Drawings of her

He sucked in a sharp breath when Gianna reached the picture he had drawn of a blonde girl. Keefe froze, his hand held out in front of him.

It was her profile picture, but Keefe personally thought that the drawing looked more like her than the picture itself. 

"Sophie." Gianna hissed, glaring at the paper. Before Keefe could react, she ripped it in two, and dropped it to the floor. 

"HEY!" He yelled. Keefe shoved Gianna, and dropped to the floor, picking up the drawings. The drawing of Sophie had been torn right through her eyes. He had worked for weeks on that drawing. It was the best one he had of her. "What the hell, Gianna?!"

Gianna stared loathingly at the drawings, and Keefe, before tossing the rest of the papers she was holding over her shoulder, and stomping out. Keefe growled, and picked up everything off the ground. 

Feeling a certain rage boil over him, he threw the papers onto his desk, before marching out his door, towards Gianna's room. Before he could open the door, however, he stopped. 

What was he thinking? 

Gianna had too much power. Instead of marching into her room, he spun around on his heel, and briskly walked outside, jogging slowly. 

The park. It was his happy place. He loved to go and sit on a park bench, and draw people walking by him. 

One time, he and his friends had gone to the park, and they sat, laughing on a park bench, as Keefe drew Biana, Sophie, Linh and Marella together. 

Keefe reached into his pocket, thankful that he had his headphones and phone. He stuffed his earbuds into his ears, and blasted their group Spotify playlist. 

He shut his eyes for a second, and in that one second, he crashed into someone.

Keefe stumbled, reaching his hands out behind him reflexively, as he tried to slow his fall. It was a hard hit, and Keefe's forhead was pounding with pain.

He hit the ground, and groaned, looking up. 

The male face of the one person he was trying to get away from loomed over him. 

"Sorry," Jayden smiled sheepishly, reaching down to help Keefe up. "I didn't see you there." 

"S'alright." Keefe grunted, as he pulled his earbuds from his ears. He paused the playlist, and looked at Jayden. They were around the same height so Keefe didn't have to look down like he had to with Sophie, or up like he had to with Fitz. 

"You seem pissed." Jayden noted. "Whats up?"

Keefe didn't want to tell him. He was literally the brother of the reason he was pissed. 

"Its nothing." Keefe shrugged it off. He pretended to look at his imaginary watch. "Welp, I should get going. Bye."

Keefe hurried off, leaving a very confused Jayden behind him.