Chapter 8- Sophie's POV

'She's Cheer Captain, and I'm on the bleachers...'

Sophie woke up to her head pounding, and her throat dry. She sat up and glanced around, wondering why she was at home... the last thing she remembered was playing volleyball in PE, and Gianna....

And suddenly, she remembered everything that had happened. She felt a hot fury for Gianna course through her. She knew she had done that on purpose. 

"Oh sweetie, your awake." her adopted mother Edaline, said as she peaked into her room. "How are you feeling?"

"Trashy." was Sophie's reply. Her head really was killing her. "How'd I get here?" 

"After you lost conciousness, Keefe brought you to the school nurse's office where they called us." 

"Oh okay... " Sophie replied, trying not to dwell on the fact that Keefe, had carried her to the Nurse's office. "So... do I have a concussion? Because my head is killing me right now." 

"The school Nurse, Nurse Livvy I believe, told us to take you to the doctor after you woke up. It's been around 30 minutes by the way." 

"Um.. sure. Do we have any painkillers?" 

Edaline chuckled before holding out her hand. Sophie took the pills, and accepted the glass of water that Edaline handed her gratefully. 

"Livvy told me to ask you some questions after you woke up. Just some to identify if you have a concussion." 

Sophie nodded, sitting up in her bed. She was still in her school clothes, which was a pair of jeans, and a 'San Diego' sweatshirt. 

"Uh okay. You already told me that you remembered everything, so would you mind if I open the blinds? Just to see if the light bothers you?" Edaline asked worriedly. 

Sophie laughed, making her head hurt more. She winced, and nodded. Edaline went over to open the blinds, and the sudden sunlight caused Sophie's headache to spike more. She retreated into her blankets, and covered her head with her pillow.

Edaline, without saying anything, sat beside her and started rubbing circles on her back. She let Sophie catch her breath, before asking if she could stand. 

Her adoptive mother helped Sophie up, and a wave of dizziness washed over her. 

"Nope." Sophie sighed, sitting back down on her bed. Edaline looked at her, her aquamarine eyes scanning over her daughter.

"I think it's safe to say that you do have a concussion. We should still go to the doctor's to check it out. You up for it?" 

Sophie nodded, before gesturing for Edaline to help her up. Once she was steady, and had fought off the wave of nausea, she followed her to the door. 

"Where's Grady?" Sophie asked, glancing around their house. 

"A lioness was giving birth at a nearby Animal Shelter, and Grady went to help." Edaline responded, grabbing her keys and slinging her arm around Sophie's shoulders. 

"Oh." was all Sophie replied. Both of her parents were certified veterinarians, and they had their own clinic. They sometimes housed animals in their front or back yard, but that was pretty rare. It used to be common until some neighbors started complaining. 

Sophie slipped on her converse, and trudged to the car with Edaline. She pulled out her phone and tried to get her eyes to focus on the small screen. She sighed, annoyed with the crappy day she had had. 

First, she saw Keefe and Gianna kissing, only to be told by Fitz that Gianna had forced him, then she found out that Gianna was even more of a b*tch then she thought she was, and then to top it all off, she had gotten smacked in the head with a volleyball that Gianna had spiked straight at her, and gotten a concussion. 

Her eyes finally focused, and she was shocked to see a dozen text messages from all of her friends. She replied as quickly as she could, her eyes still blurring. The second Sophie replied to Biana, her teal eyed friend requested for a facetime call. Sophie accepted, and turned the phone to Edaline so she could say hi.

"How are you? Keefe told us what happened. I can't believe that bit-" Sophie shot her a pointed glare, and gestured towards Edaline, who was smirking at her daughter. 

"Don't finish that sentance Bi." Sophie warned. 

Biana's face turned red over the screen, and she let out a string of apolagizes to Edaline. Her mother just laughed, and told Biana to continue talking to Sophie. 

After many assurances that Sophie was fine, Biana's topic switched to the football game later that week. 

"I heard Gianna's cheer captain. Can you believe that? She's literally been here less than a week, and she got the spot that i've been aiming for for the past year. I literally worked my as- butt off, and Gianna just waltzes in here and gets the position. She probably bribed the coach." Biana  ranted.  

Sophie just nodded along, adding in helpful comments every few minutes. 

"You are going to the game right? Keefe's playing Wide Receiver and Fitz is playing QB. Dex and Marella are part of the band, and Linh and I are cheering. I don't know for sure, but i'm pretty sure Tam's helping out at the snack stand. You could too." 

Sophie rolled her eyes. "Great. Gianna's Cheer Captain, and I'm on the bleachers..."

"Dreaming 'bout the day..." Biana sang along. 

"When you wake up and find..." Edaline added in. 

"That what you're looking for..." Sophie grinned. 

"Has been here the whole time." They all sang together, bursting into a fit of laughter. Their laughter came to an end when Edaline parked at the doctor's office, and Sophie and Biana hung up their call. 

Sophie sucked in a breath. She had never liked Doctors, or Doctor's offices ever since her accident when she was nine. She had been reading a book, when she saw a giant spider on the step next to her, and sprinted towards her house, only to fall and crack her head. The doctor's had been extremely confused when the injury resulted in her photographic memory. (this probably isn't medically accurate, but yk, im only in middle school :))

Edaline must've felt her tense up, so she put her hand on Sophie's, gently guiding her. She shot a small smile at her mom, thankful to have such amazing friends and family.