Chapter 16- Sophie's POV

'You belong with me,'

Sophie was sure she shrieked. As soon as the lights flickered off, she shot out of bed and stumbled over to the light switch, clicking it furiously. The room remained dark. She quickly opened the door, and looked down the hallway, where a bunch of hospital staff were already running around. 

"Where's the backup generator?" one doctor, who Sophie could tell was a female, asked. 

"Call PG&E!" a patient yelled from a room near Sophie's. 

Sophie hurried towards a nurse that was in the middle of attempting to light one of those old gasoline lamps. 

"Let me," she said, taking the lighter from the nurse, and lighting the lamp easily. The nurse nodded appreciatively, before hurrying down the hallway to check on other patients. 

Sophie was worried for the patients that depended on devices. The saved power from the generators would keep the machine going for around 10-15 minutes, before they would be on their own. She really hoped the problem was fixed before then. 

An announcement came over the loudspeaker, assuring everyone that everything would be alright and the problem was already being fixed. Just as the announcement ended, the lights flickered back on, and everyone sighed in relief. 

"Alright everyone. If you need assistance, please follow Nurse Bedolow-" a woman began saying. She gestured to a nurse next to her "but otherwise, please return to your rooms. Thank you."

Sophie nodded, feeling drowsiness overtake her. In those 5 minutes that the power was out, tiredness had settled into every bone in her body. She blinked, and went back into her room, yelping a little bit when she tried using her broken wrist to open the door. 

Sophie collapsed on to the bed, blinking slowly. 

She didn't even remember falling asleep, but she woke up to someone shaking her, and sunlight falling on to her face. 

"Mornin' Foster." Keefe grinned down at her. "You're getting out of the hospital today."

She grinned, "Yesssss"

Keefe laughed, and helped her up. "I got to ditch first through fourth period to help you, so thanks for that. Anyways, Grady and Edaline are in the lobby signing your release papers."

Sophie nodded happily. "Hows Mr Terik?"

Keefe's face paled a little bit. "He's stuck in the hospital for a lot longer, and they had to amputate part of his leg. I think they said he was going to get a fake leg or something, but i'm not sure."

"Did you hear about what happened last night? The hospital freaking lost power." seeing the look of worry on Keefe's face, Sophie quickly spoke again. "I mean- not for long, but still."

He nodded slowly, but then a grin lit up his face. "So, Gianna miraculously stopped bothering me. We barely talk anymore. So that's great. And Suncrest isn't bad. It's not as big as FoxFire, and a lot of kids are quite rude, but it's actually a pretty nice place."

"That's good." a thought struck her. "Have you by any chance checked your messages in the past, oh I don't know, 12 hours?"

"Nah. I only woke up an hour ago. I've only checked Discord. Why?"

That just confermed Sophie's suspicions that Keefe hadn't texted her that message earlier. 

"I need to tell you something. But not now. Later, when I get out." 

Keefe looked at her, biting his lip. Sophie's heart started pounding so hard, she was sure it was going to beat out of her chest. Why did he have to bite his lip like that? "You know, we were all really worried when we didn't see you outside the building. It was honestly terrifying. I thought I- we lost you."

Sophie took his hand in hers, tracing his knuckles with her fingers. Keefe's ice blue eyes shined with.... Sophie couldn't tell. "But i'm okay. And that's what matters."

Keefe stared at the ground for a long second, before looking up, every trace of that earlier emotion wiped from his face.

"Oh! I have clothes. You probably want to change out of that hospital gown."

Sophie looked down at what she was wearing, blushing when she saw how loose it was. The sleeve was dropping off her shoulder, and she quickly pushed it back up.

"Thanks..." she mumbled, taking the clothes from Keefe. 

He looked at her, before turning away and walking to the door. "I'll see you in a bit. You're probably hungry anyways." he smirked when Sophie's stomach rumbled. "I'll bring back a bagel."

She laughed, grateful to have such a great and caring friend. "Thanks Keefe. Seriously, your amazing."

His face split into a wide smirk- no. It wasn't a smirk. It was a real, shining, bright smile. 

"I'm sorry, I couldn't quite hear that. Could you please say it again? " he laughed, tossing his non-existant long hair. Sophie joined his laughter, standing up, and assuring him out of the room so she could change.

"Get out, you dork."