Chapter 29 - Proposals

Start from the beginning

"I don't know if you're indebted or what, but if you ever want out, you find me," she said, noting the way he'd flinched when her hand had moved towards him. "In the meantime, if you touch that to an epicore, it'll fill up. You have a few hours before it expires."

The kid's suspicious gaze snapped to her, wary of a trap, before he cautiously took the shard from her hand and pocketed it.

"I'll... remember the offer, Owl," he said with a carefully measured amount of deference as he checked a small device on his wrist. "Chief is in a meeting for the moment, but he's been informed that you've arrived, and—"

Athira ignored him and walked straight through the door of Chief's office.

Chief was inside, lounging in his usual ridiculous chair across the desk from a woman who, as far as Athira could tell, was presenting some kind of accounting report on Orange projected screens. Both glanced up at Athira when she entered, and neither looked happy about the interruption.

"I have something for you," said Athira, planting her feet in the centre of the room and folding her arms, ignoring the glares Chief's two bodyguards were directing at her.

Chief just huffed, straightening in his chair and waving a hand towards the woman. "We'll finish this later. You have my apologies for this interruption."

The woman gathered up her things, giving Athira a wide berth on her way out of the room.

"No apprentice this time?" drawled Chief, straightening in his chair as the door clicked shut behind the woman.

"He's busy." Athira stepped forward, tossing proof of her favour on the desk in front of Chief. "As requested: the wristlet of the Elite you targeted. Can't promise it still works."

Chief reached forward, taking the wristlet in his hands and turning it over. "I have someone that can fix that. I suppose you'll be wanting your information?" He gestured to the seat across from him. "Please, sit."

If only to keep the conversation moving, Athira sat, gathering her cloak around her to keep her flickering runes out of view.

"Normally, I'd require a favour per topic, but given the favour I gave you, I'll allow it," said Chief, tapping the wristlet on the desk. "First, the Sleepers. As I said, I had the eastern wing sealed last week. That was after I sent a small team into the canal tunnels to find the source. They were partially successful, able to locate the entry point to what they reported as a hidden facility far below the ground, but were unable to enter it."

"Where?" said Athira.

"Couldn't tell you exactly," said Chief with a shrug. "Tunnels down near that canal are a maze. What I can do is put you in contact with someone who has the ability to track the residue those damned slugs leave, which is how they found the facility to begin with."

Athira frowned. Company wasn't ideal, but it was better than nothing. "Then I'll consider that part of the favour repaid after you set up a meeting for me."

"I could do that," said Chief. "Give me a few days, and—"

"Tonight."

Chief narrowed his eyes at her and reached for the bottle of alcohol on the shelf behind him. "If you'd completed the favour when I first offered it, tonight may have been possible, but—"

"You're the Underground head," said Athira. "You're the definition of possible around here, and either you're useful to me, or you're not."

Athira didn't flinch as Chief stood up from his chair, setting the bottle down on the desk with a heavy thud.