Chapter Thirty-Four

Start from the beginning

"What's the matter?" River asked softly. I cleared my throat.

"Uh. Yup. Just gonna need a minute," I mumbled.

"Of course. Do you need me to do something?" River asked. I rolled my eyes. Gods, he was such a fucking sap. I shook my head and he went quiet to give me my space. I stood there for a second, staring down at the floor intently and trying to get my body to listen to my brain. I trusted River and I knew he wouldn't pressure me or anything. Logically I knew that, but it was almost like an ingrained survival instinct that my body stayed in this position. Probably because I'd spent a lot of my time at the compound usually hiding in the stalls or finding ways to duck out of sight in the locker rooms.

Yeah, I made dick jokes, but that didn't mean I was going to wave it around either.

Right, but it still worked. It's not like I was impotent. I just rarely got aroused, which happened to be a side effect of the ichor... Although, lately it was pretty easy with River, but it was probably the fact that he was an incubus, so that helped.

But it didn't help that I had no idea what I was doing.

He'd probably feel like a pedophile dating a dumb kid like me. Now it made sense why Hades always called me kid. Frustrated, I shut my eyes tightly and tried to focus on the task at hand. This was no time to fucking chicken out. I had been so pumped for this, actually since the day I met River, because even from day one, I knew there was something about him. It was why it was hard to leave him alone. It was why I'd been adamant about marrying River. Oh sure, I'd get the whole army and shit, but River was the main prize.

I took a deep breath.

"I won't hurt you," River said from the tub, making me blink and look up to see that this entire time he'd been looking at the reflection of myself in the mirror, "And I think you know that. But if you want to wait, I am completely fine with--"

"Nope," I said, realizing he'd been watching me in the mirror, having a full view of my erection and not saying a single thing or making a single joke. I should've fuckin' known River wouldn't care. I mean, I did, but something in me was afraid. I don't know. I didn't want to analyze it right now. I wanted to focus on River, who was sitting back in the tub with his legs stretched out under the bubbles, and he held his hand out to me.

I turned and reached out to take his hand and he helped me in the tub. I got down and settled in front of him, my back to his muscular chest, his hands gliding down my arms to both steady me and touch me. I breathed out a sigh of relief at finally being in the warm water, surrounded by bubbles, surrounded by River.

"Are you okay?" River asked me gently, reaching for something on a tray on the edge of the tub.

"Ah, yup. Totally fine now," I mumbled. River smiled and I felt his wet fingers pull the hair back from the side of my face and tuck it behind my ear. I shivered when I felt his lips brush the space under my ear.

"Tell me no if we do something you aren't comfortable with," River murmured, his wet fingers sliding up and down my arms, almost like he was trying to get me to relax. I smiled at that and sat back against his chest, tilting my head back to stare up at him and he looked down at me with a little smile.

"I was a little awkward earlier because, to be honest, I don't know what the fuck I'm supposed to do, so if you want this to work, you gotta direct me. All I know is eventually you're going to be inside me," I said, then paused as River cleared his throat and I felt him swelling against my hip, which made me smirk, "Sooner rather than later, I hope." River dipped his head down to kiss at my neck again and I sighed, because it was so comforting. It was such a weird thing to find comfort in. You'd think I'd be a little creeped out with someone burying their mouth against my neck like a vampire, but River was so gentle. His kisses were soft and sweet, lingering for a moment as he suckled, like he wanted the taste of me in his mouth so bad he couldn't wait.