Chapter 5: The Mindreading Universe

An annoying ringing was invading her sleeping consciousness and within seconds, Dahyun rolled over with a loud groan and her eyes still shut as she reached over to her nightstand where her phone was currently disturbing her peaceful slumber. It took her a couple of aggressive taps before her hand finally landed on the blasting device.

"Hello?" She couldn't help the annoyance that dripped in her voice. She didn't even bother to open her eyes to check who the caller was.

"Kim Dahyun! Are you seriously still sleeping? It's almost noon!" Jeongyeon's loud voice boomed from the other line which made Dahyun momentarily hold out her phone away from her ear.

"Unnie, can you please not shout?" She rubbed her eyes with her free hand before letting out a yawn. "Why are you calling?"

"Your new roommate's already outside the door, you sloth! They've been waiting for you to open up for ten minutes now!"

As soon as Jeongyeon said that, Dahyun's eyes immediately shot up. She quickly ended the call and grabbed her glasses before rushing to the bathroom to fix her hair. Her face looked like she just wiped oil all over her skin so she rinsed it with the foaming cleanser that her former roommate had left behind. After her quick cleanup, she jogged towards the intercom screen to see two girls whom she didn't recognize talking to each other just outside their door.

Taking a deep breath, she wore a friendly smile as she slowly opened the door. Both girls instantly looked at her, making her cheeks warm up with the sudden attention.

"H-Hi! I'm so sorry for taking so long to answer the door!" Dahyun felt herself getting more nervous at how they continued to stare at her with wide eyes. She rubbed the back of neck before continuing, "Uh, one of you must be my new roommate. I'm Kim Dahyun."

The two girls looked... weird. Not in a bad way, no, because they were too pretty to be called that. Weird in a way that they didn't look native. Their eyes were bigger than hers and their overall vibes just screamed foreign. But then again, Dahyun had also thought that Jihyo wasn't Korean when she first met her so she really has to stop assuming other people's nationalities. Nayeon told her that it was rude.

As she kept staring at them, she noticed how similar they looked. They had the same exact facial expression, same shade of hair color, about the same height, and were even wearing very similar outfits. The only way she could tell them apart was that one of them had bangs and the other didn't.

They must've said something because one of them waved a hand in front of her face. "Dahyun-ssi?"

Dahyun blinked and realized that they were looking at her expectantly. With her cheeks flushing, she blurted out the best excuse she could come up with. "Sorry, I-I just woke up. My mind is still kinda half-asleep. Did you say something?"

The girl with chubby cheeks and light brown hair let out a high-pitched giggle. "So that's why it took you so long to answer the door huh," she was joking but Dahyun still ducked her head in embarrassment (and to hide her now crimson face). "I'm kidding! I'm Minatozaki Sana and this is Hirai Momo, my friend who will be your new roommate. It's nice to meet you, Dahyun!"

They're Japanese, Dahyun internally commented as she returned the bow that they were giving. She then stepped back and pushed the door wider. "Nice to meet you too. Please come in! Do you have any more packages or are these all?"

The girl with perfectly cut bangs, Momo, nodded her head shyly as she struggled to drag her two big luggage inside, so Dahyun took initiative to help her while Sana carried two boxes in her arms. "I still have some boxes downstairs. Where can we put these?"