Chapter 35

The voyage from Marineford to Water 7 was short. It was barely past midday when Shoko stood on the island's docks at attention with the other soldiers from Garp's unit, listening to the Vice Admiral's orders.

"Our intel says that the pirates are in the shipyard's HQ building. We'll head straight there, no stops. Bring your weapons, but don't use them unless I say otherwise. This island has just been hit by a major storm. They don't need a battle messing things up even more."

"Yes, Sir!"

They marched off toward the center of the island with Shoko, Coby, and Helmeppo just behind Garp, leading the rest of the group. Garp had donned his dog-shaped head piece; a habit Shoko noticed he indulged only for assignments outside of Marineford, probably as part of his personal brand.

"I asked everyone not to draw weapons," Garp spoke lowly to his three apprentices, "but you three can use what you have if I ask you to go against Luffy and his friends. I imagine he'll still put up a fight when he sees me, and I trust the three of you to keep things clean." He smirked. "That, and I'm just curious to see how things will go!"

Shoko and the others nodded but kept focused expressions. As they neared the island's center, Shoko became more aware of the locals' stares and whispers as the Marines passed by. She was reminded of the times she had walked through towns as a bounty hunter—when her presence brought feelings of danger rather than security. The feeling was unsettling.

Have the Marines done something terrible here? Why do I feel like I'm the enemy?

She looked at Coby from the corner of her eye. The deep frown on his face told her that he was thinking something similar to her.

The residents of Water 7 peeked out of the windows of their homes to watch as the Marines passed by. Shoko noticed several people scurrying away from the street as if to hide.

It wasn't until Garp led them into a shipyard that the citizens finally confronted the Marines rather than shying away from them.

"Please stop here, Vice Admiral Garp! Our shipyard president is back here and he's very busy!"

"I'm looking for pirates," Garp responded gruffly, stepping through the crowd of shipwrights.

Shoko cringed inwardly. She wished he would be gentler with people who already seemed so scared.

"T-there aren't any pirates here!" a young man shouted.

Shoko frowned. Garp had seemed so confident in his intel. Was it possible that these shipwrights weren't aware of the pirate crew in their own workplace?

Garp continued his way forward.

Several others cried out in an attempt to stop the Marines.

Staring straight ahead as she marched after Garp, Shoko heard mention of the Straw Hats from one of the civilians.

They do know that the Straw Hats are here.... A smile tugged at the corners of her mouth as she remembered Luffy's charisma the first time she met him in Shells Town. The people who had really met him were all drawn to him, despite his occupation. It was obvious that the same thing had happened here at Water 7.

If the locals are on such good terms with Luffy and his crew, what could they have possibly done to piss off the World Government?

Garp finally came to a stop in front of a turquoise-colored office building with the company's logo and name, Galley-La, painted on its front wall.

"Wait here," Garp ordered before walking up to the building, standing just before a window. He grinned before blowing warm breath on his fist.

Shoko stared with wide eyes. He's not.