Chapter 26

As Shoko stood watching Zoro sail away with his pirate crew, she heard a storm of footsteps approaching.

Shoko turned to see Captain Smoker standing in front of a small group of Marine soldiers. But Smoker wasn't looking at her, or the retreating pirate ship. He was looking on the roof of a nearby building, where a man in a hooded green cloak stood above everyone else.

But Shoko blinked, and the man was gone.

"Set sail! We're following the Straw Hats to the Grand Line," Smoker declared.

Several of the Marines shouted out hesitant protests. "This island is part of your jurisdiction!" one of them reasoned.

"I've made my decision," Smoker said.

Tashigi ran up behind the group. She clutched at her sword angrily. "I'll come with you," she announced. "I won't forgive Roronoa Zoro."

She met Zoro? I wonder if they fought. She seems furious, Shoko thought. She stepped forward towards Smoker and the other marines. "Captain, I know I'm still on probation, but-"

Smoker cut her off. "Officer Gozen, you have received a new assignment. Stay on this island for now. Vice Admiral Garp will contact you by transponder snail in three days to take you with him for training. He will be your new superior."

Shoko stood, shocked. She was going to be transferred so shortly after being assigned to Loguetown? And did this mean she was no longer on probation? Where exactly would she be going with the Vice Admiral?

She wanted to ask all these questions and more, but knowing Smoker, he would not tolerate any questions, especially in the mood he was in now. She saluted obediently and waited for him to leave and prepare for his departure.

As Tashigi was beginning to follow after Smoker, Shoko called out to stop her. Tashigi turned to Shoko with inquisitive eyes. She looked exhausted, and Shoko couldn't blame her. The day's events were draining.

"Tashigi, you met Zoro?" Shoko asked eagerly, despite Tashigi's obvious frustration from the earlier encounter.

Tashigi huffed, but Shoko didn't care if Tashigi wasn't feeling talkative. She pressed on anyway. "Did you fight him?"

"We fought," Tashigi glared. "He acted disgracefully, though."

"Disgraceful?" Shoko stared. That was the last thing she was expecting to hear. Zoro's the most honorable person I know when it comes to combat.

"He wouldn't finish the fight with me. He wouldn't treat me as an equal. His crewmate had been screaming something about never hurting a lady, too."

Shoko frowned. "The one with the yellow hair?" she asked, remembering vividly the way that blond pirate had refused to fight her properly. "I don't know why Zoro wouldn't fight you, but he must have had a good reason," Shoko assured Tashigi. "He wouldn't have gone easy just since you're a woman."

"Whatever his reason, he should've finished the fight," Tashigi asserted stubbornly. "I know he used to be your friend, Shoko, but he's a pirate now. It's our job to arrest him or die trying. I haven't done either yet."

Tashigi watched Shoko, waiting for a response, but when none came, she turned and walked after Captain Smoker.

__________

Smoker and Tashigi had left Loguetown immediately after Luffy and Zoro's crew. Shoko wasn't ranked high enough to know whether Smoker would be punished for deserting his post, or if a replacement was being sent to the island.

After the destruction of the battle, import ships couldn't dock at Loguetown's harbor. Some Marines and local law enforcement were working to find a way around that problem, but Shoko was focused on helping the civilians of the town to make repairs to their damaged property and helping them to find temporary shelter until their homes were inhabitable again. With the sudden absence of so many soldiers, she was able to house several families in the Marine base.