Chapter 27

**(Author's Note) What's a story about pirates and Marines without Ocean Man????? Enjoy the song bc it makes me happy :)

"Coby?" Shoko asked, astonished. There were too many questions to ask, she couldn't decide which one to pose first. "Are you going to the Grand Line too?"

Coby grinned widely—a grin Shoko recognized from when she had last seen him at Shells Town. "Mm-hm!" he nodded. "I'll be training with Vice Admiral Garp with you and Helmeppo-san?"

Shoko felt as if time itself was stuttering. She wasn't sure how many seconds passed before she was able to get her mouth to move. "Helmeppo? He's a marine? And he's training with us?"

Horrible memories of Helmeppo's father as a marine flashed through her mind. We're tempting fate, allowing this numb-nut shithead to become a Marine.

Coby nodded. Before Shoko could respond, words began spilling from the boy's mouth. "Garp-san was going to pick up Captain Morgan to transfer him to prison, but Morgan got away and me and Helmeppo-san tried to get him back, and Garp-san saw the whole thing and then Morgan got away but Garp-san said he wanted to take me and Helmeppo-san to Headquarters so now we're going to train with him." As he continued, his cheeks gained a pink tint (probably due to lack of oxygen), and he scratched shyly at the back of his head. "He said something about us being brave, but I don't know if that's really true. To be honest, I-"

"Coby!" Shoko interrupted. Coby stopped speaking immediately and the pink on his cheeks became crimson. He opened his mouth again, probably to apologize, but Shoko spoke again before he could say anything. "That's awesome!" she said, "I'm glad we'll be training together."

He'll probably shut up faster if he knows I'm not mad at him.

Coby stuttered for a moment, looking surprised. "Y-yes! Let's do our best to become the strongest marines!"

Coby brought Shoko around the ship, showing her the living quarters, bathrooms, kitchen and dining areas, training areas, and some office areas where higher-ranking officers made plans and communicated with headquarters.

As they walked through a hallway, Coby stopped behind a chore boy who was grumpily mopping the floors, walking with a childish stomp, and swinging his mop a bit too aggressively. Shoko recognized his blond bowl cut immediately.

"Helmeppo-san!" Coby called out.

Helmeppo whipped his head around, "Coby! How did you get out of-?" he stopped short once he caught sight of Shoko, who was staring right back at him.

Neither of them spoke.

Shoko tried reading his expression. He obviously recognizes me. Did he know I was joining him? He looks uncomfortable. Maybe he thinks I'll beat him up, like I did to his dad.... Maybe I will, depending on how things go....

Coby waved an arm awkwardly, trying to tear Helmeppo and Shoko's attention away from one another. "I-uh... I just wanted you to see that Shoko-san is here! You remember each other, right?" He slapped a palm to his face, then said in a small voice to himself, "Oh of course they remember each other."

Helmeppo raised a timid hand. "H-hi, Shoko-san. I look forward to working with you," he said in a tiny voice, as if afraid that speaking too loudly might set off Shoko's fury.

Okay, he's trying to be diplomatic, at least. I can be nice until he gives me the first reason not to be.

Shoko gave a quick wave mirroring Helmeppo's own. "Yeah, same here," she returned, feeling as if she had little control over her voice. It sounded rather flat, since she couldn't decide which emotion she wanted her tone to communicate. Trying to appear a little more friendly, even if it was a moment or so late, she forced the corners of her mouth into a little smile: an offer for a truce. For now.