Chapter 31

Shoko, Coby, and Helmeppo all followed Garp from the outskirts of Marineford toward the central building, where the mess hall was located.

Marineford wasn't a huge island, but the walk to the outskirts was a bit tiring for a daily commute. They trekked through sand and unpaved, hilly paths, way past where ships docked.

Heading back toward the island's center, the walk became much easier as they reached the docks. At this point, the paths were much more comfortable to walk on, and the scenery became much livelier. From one of the ships, Shoko could hear the sounds of a celebration, most likely from a crew returning from a successful mission.

As Shoko and her companions neared the sounds of the celebration, Garp slowed to a stop. Shoko looked to him expectantly. He was watching the soldiers on the deck, who were currently giving a toast to their apparent leader—a tall, slim woman with pale pink hair—who looked rather unimpressed despite the recognition she was receiving.

"Hm, it looks like Hina's crew has returned," he observed, rubbing his chin thoughtfully. "Wait here."

Shoko and Coby exchanged confused glances before watching their Vice Admiral approach the ship and climb on board.

He disappeared for a moment among the crowd of jubilant soldiers before emerging at the side of the pink-haired woman, who looked unsurprised by his presence. They spoke for a moment before retreating to the ship's interior.

Helmeppo's eyes stayed trained on the ship, eyebrows raised in gleeful anticipation. "Do you think this is where we're going to be eating?"

"No," Shoko said flatly. This celebration was not theirs to attend.

Helmeppo's hopeful expression dissolved into boredom once again.

When Garp returned from the ship, there was a small brown package tucked under his left arm. If he noticed the questioning glances from his three subordinates, he didn't acknowledge them. Instead, he continued wordlessly walking the same direction as before. Shoko and the others followed obediently.

Garp led them through Marineford and through the mess hall, not stopping until he reached the closed-off room in the back of the building where only higher-up officers were allowed to eat.

Garp stepped inside the room, holding the door open for Shoko and the others. Shoko took a step inside, half expecting Garp to burst into laughter and tell them he was just joking and that she wasn't ranked high enough to enter. But the laughter never came, and Coby and Helmeppo followed her in.

Inside, the room was nearly empty. Most officers had apparently already had their evening meal for the day, so Shoko's small group had the room mostly to themselves.

The only other person was a young soldier with the most prominent scowl Shoko had ever seen. On his chin, emphasizing his scowl, was an x-shaped mark that could have either been a scar or a tattoo. He had red-brown hair styled into a peak on top of his head and his face was framed with severe, straight-lined sideburns.

The soldier stood as Garp entered and greeted him with a salute.

"Rear Admiral Drake, these are my new... trainees," Garp introduced, gesturing toward Shoko, Coby, and Helmeppo. "You three," he addressed them, "This is Rear Admiral Diez Drake. And it looks like he's been waiting for us to eat tonight, so grab your plates."

Once they had all served themselves, they sat around the table and began their meal. For several minutes, they ate in silence.

Finally, it was the Rear Admiral who spoke up. "Garp, I must say I'm surprised that you've taken on trainees who seem so..." his eyes flicked toward Shoko and the two boys, "inexperienced."

Garp chuckled. "They proved some extraordinary resolve in their desire to become strong marines."

Drake huffed, his expression derisive. "And why exactly do you want to be Marines so badly?"

Shoko frowned. Isn't he a Marine? What's his deal?

Coby puffed out his chest. "It's something I've decided, so I'm gonna do it or die trying!" he proclaimed.

"So you just decided?" Drake sneered again. "Do you even know what the Marines do? They're the Celestial Dragons' lap dogs. They just do what they're told. You're willing to die trying to be a lap dog?"

Coby looked surprised for a moment before his expression morphed into a seethe. "That's not the kind of Marine I'm going to be. I want to help people and take out the bad guys."

"'The bad guys?' So pirates. You just want to go fight pirates."

Coby opened his mouth to respond but shut it quickly. Shoko knew exactly what he was thinking. Coby didn't care about fighting pirates—not unless they were hurting anyone. Coby—and Shoko and Helmeppo—all just wanted to fight for justice and for peace.

Garp laughed again, louder this time. "Drake, I didn't bring them here for you to antagonize them. You're all on the same side after all."

Four faces looked to Garp in surprise. Same side? What is that supposed to mean?

Shoko looked to Drake again, only to meet scrutinizing eyes. "So you three already know about the corruption in the Marines and you still want to join so badly?" his voice was low but clear. He was tactful enough to be careful not to be overheard, but he wasn't apologetic for his views.

Shoko felt a tiny shred of respect for Drake for the first time since meeting him. Just a tiny, tiny shred. She still couldn't believe how bitter he was acting toward them just based off of his own assumptions.

"Oh, don't be a hypocrite. You're a part of this organization, too," she sneered, keeping her voice just as low. Coby and Helmeppo looked frantically between her and Drake.

"I came here on a mission," he retorted. "I'm guessing you did too, right? You're going to come to the Marines and fix all the corruption. Is that right?"

Shoko stared, furious. "You just met us and you think you know everything? I don't get why you're being such a douchebag."

"H-hey!" Coby shouted over Shoko's last words, waving a hand frantically in front of her. "Vice Admiral Garp just said we're all on the same side, right? We don't need to argue!"

Neither Shoko or Drake said anything, but he continued glaring daggers at her. She crossed her arms in front of her chest, glaring down at her plate.

Garp laughed once again. Shoko resisted the urge to roll her eyes. He always took her frustration so lightly. "I'm glad we're getting to know each other. Gozen, can you step out with me please? I'm glad you've introduced yourself. I'd like to give Coby and Helmeppo a chance to do the same."

Shoko felt her face flush in fury and humiliation. He was obviously trying to shut her up. Fuming, she grit her teeth and nodded, stood from the table, and stepped after Garp into the larger mess hall, closing the door behind her.

The mess hall was completely empty now. Garp stood facing her with a sheepish grin. He was fidgeting slightly with the box he had retrieved from the pink-haired woman's ship on their way to dinner. It was still tucked under his left arm.

"I'll admit, that was a poor excuse to bring you out here, but I saw the opportunity and seized it." He laughed again, and his apologetic expression vanished in an instant. Then he held the box forward, presenting it to Shoko, who eyed it apprehensively. "Anyway, I've decided. This is for you, if you want it," Garp said. It was an unassuming parcel made of wood, latched shut with a simple metal clasp.

Garp unlatched the lid to the box and opened it, revealing a fruit that resembled a dark purple apple with a long, stringy stem.

Shoko's breath caught in her throat.

There's no way this is what I think it is.