Chapter 22

**Hahah this is a weird music video but I think (?) I like it? Sorry about taking forever to get this chapter out. Adulting is hard and I'm having bad writers block. Not for this chapter but the next one. I try to have at least one chapter written ahead of posting in case I need to change something! 

I hope y'all are all doing ok! Life gets hard but here's a reminder that we're all human and it's ok to struggle. If you ever want a virtual hug just lmk!

"My superiors are calling to have you discharged from the Marines." Smoker growled. His voice wasn't raised in anger, but the way he stood towering over Shoko menacingly as she bowed in apology was enough to make any soldier shake in their boots.

But Shoko kept her composure as she bowed and responded with a short "I'm sorry, Sir." She had been commanded to report to Smoker as soon as she returned to Loguetown late that morning.

"My head's on the line, too," Smoker continued. "They're asking how I could have allowed you to go to Shells Town in the first place without being assigned there. So explain to me the call I received requesting you to report at Shells Town. Did you arrange for a civilian to call?"

"No, Sir," Shoko responded, maintaining her bow. "That was a Marine Soldier who had informed me of the situation in Shells Town with Captain Morgan and the prisoner there. Though I do admit to asking him to go to you to request my presence in Shells Town, Sir."

"Hm," Smoker huffed out a plume of smoke. "The prisoner, Roronoa Zoro, was your partner when you were a bounty hunter. Why had he been arrested?"

"He was arrested for standing up to Captain Morgan's son, Helmeppo, who had been bullying my sister and her child, Sir. Helmeppo wanted to have them executed for talking back to him, and Zoro threatened him."

Smoker's towering form retreated from its stance over Shoko. He turned to pace around his desk thoughtfully.

Shit, what does that mean? Does he feel something for why I went over there? I know he's willing to put justice over the rules.... Or maybe he's just too angry to speak....

She waited patiently for the captain to speak again.

"I will do what I can to reduce your punishment," he finally said aloud. "But do not be mistaken—there will still be a punishment for lying to your superior." He took a long puff from his cigars before continuing. "I admire your sense of justice, but we need order if we're ever going to get anything done properly around here."

He then made his way back to where Shoko stood. "I will be in touch. Don't do anything stupid in the meantime. Dismissed."

"Yes, Sir," Shoko stood straight to salute before turning and walking out of Smoker's office.

Tashigi was waiting for her back in the personal quarters they shared. She kept giving Shoko anxious glances as if she wanted to say something but couldn't quite figure out how to say it.

Why does she seem so afraid of me?

"They haven't decided my punishment yet," Shoko said, guessing what Tashigi wanted to know, sparing her the anguish of making the decision to talk or not.

"O-oh. I see," Tashigi stuttered, embarrassed. "So that means there's hope they won't just discharge you, right?"

"Well, HQ wants to discharge me, but Captain Smoker says he'll try to talk them out of it." Shoko dropped onto her cot, leaning her head back roughly against the wall with a thump and a dramatic sigh. "I know I should regret what I did, but I just don't." She pulled her feet up into a criss-cross position.