Chapter 4

Shoko and Zoro spent the following week just as they had that day: Zoro waited at the restaurant until Shoko finished her work before they would head off to the forest for training.

"Ririka, what table do these drinks go to?" Zoro asked one day when the restaurant was particularly busy. Shoko was away at the moment, taking care of baby Rika, who was in a sour mood and refusing to nap.

Zoro had been feeling like he was taking up space, since he had been staying in their home and bumming at the restaurant during the days. And he wasn't able to train during the day because he could never seem to find his way to the training grounds without Shoko.

Riri smiled at Zoro appreciatively and showed him where to bring the tray of food. Zoro didn't strike her as a customer service type of guy—he was a bit gruff and didn't smile a lot—but then again, she appreciated the offer for help.

That evening, once Riri dismissed them, the two grabbed their equipment as usual and headed back to the woods to train.

The routine they had done the first day proved to be their favorite way to spend their time. After only one week, Zoro found that his reflexes were improving dramatically, and Shoko's aim was becoming more accurate each day.

That day, once they were both wiped from running around the trees, they sat in the clearing in comfortable silence as they usually did, listening to the wildlife as the air started to cool for the evening.

"I'm thinking I should go soon," Zoro said suddenly.

"You mean go home? Are you feeling bad? I did whoop your ass today," Shoko teased, nudging him in the side with her elbow.

"No," Zoro said, swatting at her elbow. "To another island. I need to get money somehow."

Shoko frowned. "What for? You can work for your food here. You don't have to pay us back." She knew she would be incredibly lonely if he left. She had other friends in Shells Town, but none of them were half as interesting as Zoro, and they sure couldn't train with her like he could.

Zoro grunted. "I have to go eventually. No offense, but I won't become the greatest swordsman just from our training."

Shoko slumped back on the tree she was leaning against. "So what, are you gonna get a job?"

Zoro reached in the bag he sometimes carried with him and pulled out a folded piece of paper. He unfolded it to reveal a pirate's bounty poster for a million berries.

Shoko's heart sank. "Bounty hunting?" she asked incredulously, staring him down.

"Why not?" Zoro shrugged, putting the paper away again. "I heard a couple idiots at the restaurant talking about bounties they collected."

"So you're just gonna go copy the idiots?"

Zoro shrugged, and Shoko was acutely aware that he was avoiding her gaze. "It will be good practice, Shoko."

Shoko didn't respond. She didn't want to admit it, but he had a good point. In fact, it sounded like something she could even be interested in. Making money outside of the restaurant was something she'd wanted to do for a long time. And fighting evil pirates? It could be like a sort of application to the Marines. But she knew her mother wouldn't approve. No leaving the island until you're sixteen. That was the rule. And Shoko couldn't bring herself to disobey her mother.

"Will you come back?" Shoko finally asked him.

"Eventually."

"Come back and take me with you."