Marriage | Arulmozhi-Vanathi

As Margazhi was about to start, the Mun Pani season had started to take over Thanjai. The slightly cold breeze felt refreshing to some, atleast for now.

The Thanjai Kottai had a part of the Kaveri flowing near it. On its banks, a dock was built, reserved for the royal family. One could have a scenic view of what the Kaveri had to offer, from calm cranes meditating to boats passing by.

Here sat Arulmozhi Varman, his toes softly moving to and fro on the water surface, forming ripples. His right cheek was buried in his hand marked with the chakram. The usually joyful face was now marked with worry.

The Kodumbaloor princess had walked to him.

"Ilavarasare, did you call for me?" Vanathi asked. "Yes Ilavarasi! Come, sit beside me." Came the reply. Vanathi sat to his right.

"Don't sit in that posture, Arase. Don't hide that divine chakram from me." Said Vanathi as she gently pulled his hand. "There's nothing special about it. It doesn't even look vaguely like the Sudarshana chakram. Same goes with the so called Panchajanya shankam." He replied gloomy.

"Well, I think it does kind of look like it." Vanathi affirmed while tracing the shape on his palm.

"By the way, why does my Yaanai Paagan look so upset? Is anything wrong?" She asked, concerned.

"Yes."

"What is it?"

"Dantisakthi-Vitanki."

"Who is that? Is she planning to wreak havoc in Chozham, like Nandhini Devi?"

"No no. I heard that she is a very nice princess. The problem is that akka wants me to marry her. Even my parents and my chittappa have the same opinion.

"Why?"

"Um...it's because of your oath. When you said that you'll never sit on the ariyasanam."

"Yes, but what about it?"

"You know, the thing is that only the Pattamahishi can sit on the Chozha Ariyanai. So if you became my second queen and Dantisakthi-Vitanki becomes the first, there will be no damage to your oath. It may sideline you in terms of importance, but hey, we are still married." He explained nervously while playing with his kaapu. Varman was worried that the silent volcano named Vanathi may burst up.

However, she was lost deep in her thoughts.

"What are you thinking?" He enquired.

"But why think about this now? If the newly crowned Uttama Chozhan will children in the future, why is there a need for you to sit on the throne? I'm confused." She replied.

"I don't know, akka feels it's better. I- I just came here for your opinion. Are you ok with it?"

"It's Ok."

"Wait, really?"

"If there's one thing I've learnt from Kundavai Pirattiyar from all my days of living under her grace, it's that she always takes the right decisions."

"You won't be jealous, won't you Vanathi?"

"I promise I won't think anything wrong, but you have to treat us equally. I want her to feel welcome."

"Of course I will! You doubt me?"

"No arase! You're a man of your word."

"Then come, we'll inform akka about this decision."

"Can we please go after sometime? I like it here, ayya."

"Sure. I'll bring some pebbles. Let's see who can throw it further." Arulmozhi said smiling.

"Don't underestimate my pebble- throwing skills." Smirked Vanathi.

Arulmozhi winked.

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══

(A/N): Rajaraja Chozhan had three prominent wives amongst others-

●His Pattamahishi Lokamaadevi (Dantisakthi-Vitanki)

●Thiripuvana Maadeviyar (Vanathi) She is also mentioned in some inscriptions as 'Vanavanmaadevi'.

●Panjavan Maadeviyaar alias Thillai Azhagiyaar (Who didn't have a royal background)

About Vanathi's oath, I have no idea if this happened in real life (Kalki's Ponniyin Selvan was atleast 75% fiction)

This smol idea came into my mind after reading about Rajaraja's queens :)

Glossary:

Margazhi- The ninth Tamizh month which starts around mid-december and ends in mid-january.

Mun Pani- Early winter (Am I the only one who is now thinking about 'Mun Paniya' song?)

Kōttai- Fort

Sudarshana chakram- Lord Vishnu's divine discus.

Panchajanya shankam- Lord's Vishnu's conch which was obtained after slaughtering the demon Pachajanan

Chozham- The Chozha country.

Chittappa- Younger uncle

Ariyanai/Ariyasanam- Throne

Pattamahishi- Chief queen

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══