Ratna Maadevi #2

A palanquin had quickly been made for Ratna Mahadevi and the massive Chozha army marched back the Chozhanaadu.

"Thought we would be bringing home a victory, not a bride for the royal family..." Muttered a soldier bitterly. His friend reprimanded him. Luckily, this did not fall on the prince's ears.

A few weeks later...

All the people had flocked to the royal pathway near the fort. Their beloved prince, Aaditha Karikalan was coming back after so many years to Thanjavur. Upon hearing this news, Kundavai was also coming to meet her older brother and was overlooking the welcome.

And soon, they arrived along with a small retinue (upon orders, many soldiers had went back to their homes). Kundavai looked on expectantly, with Nandhini and Vanathi on either side of her. She smiled at her brother from afar, who grinned back. Aadithan got down from his horse and walked to the palanquin. An ivory coloured hand peeked out. "Your hand looks heavy, let me hold it for you." Whispered Karikalan and helped Ratna to get down. "Do you know how stupid that sounded?" She said quietly, while trying hard to control her laughter. They both had become rather close to each other.

To the people and the princesses, Ratna Mahadevi had what poets would call 'Velvizhi'. "Not as beautiful as Nandhini, but would certainly be a much better person than her." Thought Kundavai. Karikalan's eyes met Nandhini's, and he shivered.

Kundavai welcomed her future sister-in-law enthusiastically. "You must be the Ilaya Piratti Kundavai, right? Your older brother told a lot about you." Said Ratna. "Hope my beloved anna said only good things about me." Beamed Kundavai.

"Of course he did! And you are the Pazhuvoor Ilaya Rani, Nandhini Devi. I have heard a lot about your ethereal beauty from merchants visting our country."

Nandhini smiled and nodded, her heart full of hate. "I am certainly not as beautiful as you, the Ilaya Piratti and the Kodumbaloor Princess. Am I right, Karikalare?" Asked Nandhini to Aadithan, who remained quiet.

•••

Sundara Chozhan and Vanamaadevi talked with Ratna Mahadevi, and they were greatly impressed with the mannerisms of this princess. They were also delighted to see Aaditha Karikalan again.

Later, Aaditha Karikalan and Ratna Mahadevi were walking down a corridor. "The king and queen seem to like you a lot, Ratna Maadevi." Said Karikalan to Ratna. "I am glad that they are not as stone hearted as you." Came the reply. Aaditha laughed and said, "You are the only one who can chide me without facing my wrath!"

A short pause.

"Welcome to the Chozha royal family, where there is no warlord who can pester you." Beamed the prince.

•••

Ratna, Kundavai and Vanathi spent a lot of time together. They had mini picnics, laughed while playing on swings and talked a lot on the royal boats. Sometimes, Nandhini too would join them, but it would always feel very formal.

One summer night, the trio sat around on stone benches and were speaking to each other merrily.

"...It was a night like this, Kundavai. Your anna and I duelled and talked all night long, until he decided it was not proper to talk alone with an unmarried woman at night. What a gentleman!"

"Oh akka, hanks for making anna happy again. He always seemed very depressed after Nandhini Devi-"

"Akka! Let us not talk about old things now. Tell me, when can I go to Eezham?" Interrupted Vanathi.

"Ey Vanathi! Can't you wait for sometime? My younger brother will come soon and carry you off. Be patient." Teased Kundavai. Vanathi blushed and the two princesses laughed. "I am very lucky to get such amazing sister-in-laws." Kundavai said. "So are we. Right Vanathi?" Asked Ratna, to which Vanathi nodded.

Soon, Kundavai and Vanathi left. Ratna Mahadevi, who wanted to stay back, gazed at the fairly distant Kaveri. Her banks shone like silver under the delicate moonlight. Someone covered her eyes with their hands.

"These hands feel battle-worn. Aaditha, why are you playing games like this like a small girl?" Asked she. Aadithan sat beside her. "You are really smart, Ratna."

"Well, I am supposed to know everything about my future husband right?"

"I wanted to thank you."

"Why?"

"I am here, in Thanjai and in front my parents after a long time because of you. Thank you..."

"Thank yourself then. It was you who mustered courage by yourself, not me."

"Hm. Nandhini still scares me, though."

"Don't worry, one day she will forgive you and then we'll all be happy."

"You speak like Arulmozhi, he always speaks with a positive note."

"I can't wait to meet him."

"Who? Arulmozhi Varman?"

"Yes."

"Here is my turn to ask you why. Why?"

"Because, after he comes, we both will get married very, very soon."

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══

(A/N): This chapter was requested by @Mouni_Drk54 . Hope you liked it!

Also I will be inactive for sometime due to exams.

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══