Pasalai Noai | Kundavai-Vandiyathevan

(After Ponniyin Selvan ended)

Kundavai walked through the Pazhayarai palace gardens, alone.

"He said he'll be back soon after performing some duties in his kingdom. It's been 7 months!" Said Kundavai to a butterfly feasting on a flower.

"I mean, I understand...he's now a king and all that. But he promised me that he'll be back in a month."

The butterfly flew away.

"What has happened to me? Why am I talking to an insect? Have I finally gone mad?" Pondered Kundavai. She placed her hand on her forehead and sighed.

Kundavai had no one very close to her to talk to. Vanathi had left for Kodumbaloor. "I will come back in a few days, Akka!" She had said, but only God knew how long it would take for her to come back.

Sembiyan Maadeviyaar had said that as a King, Vandiyathevan would be immersed in his work. She further suggested that as his wife, she should be near him. Kundavai merely smiled. She would never ever leave her Chozha kingdom, which was dearer to her than her own life. Her parents were in the Kanchi Pon Maaligai and Arulmozhi wasn't at Pazhayarai.

Left all alone, she spent most of her time in the palace gardens, contemplating about many things.

Kundavai happened to glance at the lake. Vandiyathevan! Was that him, sitting on its banks?

The princess walked towards him, and he smiled brightly. That cursed smile of his! Didn't it mesmerize the Ilaya Piratti all those months ago? "What happened Kundavai? Have you gone mad thinking about me?" Said he.

"Aha! So the Vaanar King knows about this too? You should have continued being a spy, specializing in finding out about a woman's thoughts." She laughed.

And suddenly, he vanished.

"A hallucination! Even my imagination was right, I have gone mad."

A bell suddenly rang.

"Even the temple bell has rung. What more proof do I need?" Said she and started walking in the direction of the sound.

The garden had a small Siva temple. Since it was late afternoon, no one was there. When Kundavai had a clear view of the temple, she saw a handsome man standing near the bell.

"Ayya! I know that you are yet another hallucination. Please leave me alone." Pleaded she.

Vallavarayan Vandiyathevan, the Vaana King, was confused.

"Hallucination? What are you talking about Devi?" He asked.

Suddenly, Kundavai punched Vandiyathevan's stomach. The warrior wouldn't have flinched even if someone had stabbed him, but for some reason he now winced in pain.

"I feel you. So you're real." Said she. "Of course I a- AMmaa!" Replied he as tried to silence his scream, for the Princess had had struck another blow on his stomach.

"This was for you breaking your promise. Do 2 weeks look like 7 months to you?"

"Devi! You are the only one who can kill me easily. If you do want to slay me, just look at me angrily, my heart will break into pieces."

"I envy your speaking skills. Leave that, Ayya. How did you come here?"

"I payed my salutations to the Periya Piratti. She told me about how much you missed me. Is that true Devi?"

"You doubt the pious Periya Pirattiyar? Of course I did."

"Hm. The attendants said that you were at the gardens. I wanted to give a surprise, so I came silently. You've changed, my dearest."

"Have I?"

"Your way of speaking is different."

"So is yours. The wit in your words has decreased."

"And you've become thinner."

"So have you."

"So...we've both changed?"

"Seems like it."

They both stared at each other for sometime. Kundavai rushed forward to hug her husband.

"I've missed you." She whispered to him. Vandiyathevan wrapped his arm around her.

"You have invaded my thoughts, Devi. I wasn't able to do anything properly during the day. The sun reminded me of your warm smile. I wasn't able to sleep during the night. The stars reminded me of the twinkle in your eyes. That's why it took me more than a mere 2 weeks to return back to you. If your oath stops binding me, I will carry you back to Vallam this very instant." He muttered in her ear.

" He muttered in her ear

They broke the hug. "I was wrong. You haven't lost your wit." Beamed Kundavai.

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══

Glossary:

Pasalai Noai- A sickness developed by a woman due to separation from her lover. (Credits- @pattampoochi_pen on Insta)

Kanchi Pon Maaligai- The golden palace which Aadhitha Karikalan built at Kanchipuram

Periya Piratti(yar)- The older princess

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══