He takes a few sips and sets the glass down.

Then his eyes set on mine and something is different in his gaze. Whatever it is makes my heart beat faster. As I stand there in the kitchen I don't know how much longer I can go on.

I try to leave, but Grayson stops me by grabbing my elbow. His hand is as warm as my skin and I feel his grip tighten slightly. He gets up from the stool, looking down at me and I'm waiting for him to say something as my skin tingles from his touch.

"You have something on your face," he says, softly. He's so close to me. I look down at our shoes inches away from each other.

"Do I?" I ask, casting my eyes up, meeting his hungry gaze again and a feeling of familiarity passes through me.

His grip softens and his soft fingers trail up the back of my arm. I suck in a breath. He uses his other hand to brush my face, his fingers light and gentle. I'm itching to move closer and close whatever space there is between us. It's like a spell has been put on us, forcing us to draw closer together.

The door slams shut and Grayson's touch leaves me as we both jump back. I immediately want it back.

What the hell was that?

I can't help but wonder what would have happened if we weren't interrupted.

Hale's voice filters into the kitchen and it sounds like it's getting closer. Grayson's cheeks have taken on a pink tinge as his eyes flicker everywhere around the kitchen.

"She might be willing to do it," my mom says, entering the kitchen and tossing her bag on the counter. Then she sees us. "Hey, guys. Everything okay?"

Does she feel the energy in the room? To me, it's palpable.

But my gaze lands on Hale as he looks between Grayson and I. Grayson fiddles with his glass, avoiding everyone's eyes.

I clear my throat. "Yeah, fine. Lemonade?" I ask, heading back towards the jug.

"Sure," my mom says, sitting down at the kitchen table as she begins to sift through the mail. Hale joins her.

"I'll have one too. Thanks, Layla."

I smile slightly and pour them two glasses of lemonade. Grayson finishes his and takes his seat again. That surprises me even more. I truly thought he'd be gone by now.

"So, it's a good thing you're here. Ruth Elliot got back to me and she says she'll go for you if you still want it. You said you were bored this summer so I decided to ask her for you."

"Really?" I ask, surprised, placing the glasses of lemonade on the table. I didn't think she'd actually ask.

"Yep. You'd just be maintaining the house for her while the family goes on vacation."

Grayson surprises all of us by speaking loudly. "Elliot?"

"Yeah," my mom nods slowly. "She said someone told her you're the best choice. And she's willing to pay a pretty penny. It would be good for you to rack in some cash before college."

She's talking but the only thing I can pay attention to is Grayson's clenched jaw as a look of realization passes over his face.

"I have until tomorrow to get back to her before she decides on someone else. Let me know."

"I'll do it," I say. There's nothing to contemplate. My mom's right, I need money if I'm going to be away from home and this is my chance. I know my grandparents would be happy to cover any additional expenses but I'd feel too bad letting them do that.

"Okay," my mom nods. "I'll let her know."

I clean up everything I used to make the lemonade and pull my cap off my head. My hair is damp underneath from sweat. I decide I need to shower since I'm probably done being out in the sun for the day. I'm about to bound up the stairs when a strong grip wraps around my arm.

This time his touch is not gentle or nice, it's harsh. Grayson yanks me away from the stairs with a pull, forcing me to face him. I stumble but quickly regain my footing.

"Don't do it, Layla."

"What the hell? Can you let me go?"

He loosens his grip slightly but doesn't let me go. "Tell your mom you changed your mind or something."

One minute he's hot and the next he's cold and I'm getting tired trying to keep up with it.

Sometimes he's laughing and smiling and sometimes he has so much anger behind his eyes I think he might burst into flames because of it.

"And why would I do that?"

In his mind he's considering something, I can see it. All the thoughts are running and flashing behind his eyes. But I also know that whatever it is, he won't tell me.

I pull out of his grip, my arm burning from the roughness of it. "You confuse the hell out of me."

He lets out a loud breath and storms out of the house, slamming the door shut behind him. I flinch.

"What happened?" Hale asks, confused by the slam I'm sure they heard. I'm still standing at the bottom of the stairs.

I shake my head, ready to go upstairs and get ready for my once again early night. "Nothing."

I turn back around and take a few steps up.

"Layla." Hale stops me. I turn my head to find him at the bottom of the stairs. "Do you remember what we talked about last week?"

I run my fingers through my hair. "Yeah, I remember."

"And are you? Are you staying out of his way?"

Am I? Instead of voicing that thought, I shrug. "I don't know."

"Whatever I said, I said it for your own good."

He's standing there, acting like my father, and I don't like it. He's supposed to be different. He's not supposed to care about what's good for me.

Because then I'll feel good about him, I'll start trusting him and loving him like a father, and then he'll leave me, too.

The same way my dad left my mom. The same way Liam left me. Sometimes I'm afraid no one is going to stay. Why bother with all of it then?

"Okay," I nod, my voice a whisper.

"Try harder. Whatever he has going on, try to stay out of it."

I close my eyes and let out a sigh. "Is that all?" My tone is clipped.

"That's all."

I shower for what feels like an hour, scrubbing every inch of my body because I feel dirty. Unloveable. Why wasn't I enough to make them stay? The question haunts me every day like the ghost of someone I wronged in a past life. Is there something wrong with me?

I'm attracted to Grayson Wallace, there has to be something wrong with me.

Some girls would run from him, some would hide, and some would find him intriguing and mysterious and would give up trying to figure him out.

But me?

I want to play this game with Grayson Wallace.

-

(😮‍💨) I had so much fun writing this chapter. yeehaw.