Chapter 31

We all lean against the walls of the hallway, waiting for any news on Darcy

We all lean against the walls of the hallway, waiting for any news on Darcy. Our doctor refused to allow us in the room with her while she was working incase we 'distracted' her.

We had to physically remove Romeo, who was petrified to have Darcy out of his sight for even a minute. 

Santiago and the rest of Romeo's friends have been off duty for hours now but they've stuck around. Wether it's to provide support for Rome or just out of plain curiosity to see how this situation ends I don't know.

The doctor enters the hallway, causing all of us to snap our heads towards her. She holds out a tiny unfamiliar device in her hands.

"What's that," Angelo asks. 

"We caught this in her wrist on one of our scans, it appears to be some sort of tracking device that's able to emit painful electrical shocks throughout the body," She explains.

We all look at her confused, never seeing something like this before.

"It's primarily used as a small explosive, it's not powerful enough to blow up a whole room but it will kill whoever it's imbedded into," She says whilst placing it on the floor and stomping on it. "It's best if it's destroyed, that way no one can track this location or blow it up," She justifies.

"Why was it in her?" Lorenzo asks. 

"I'm not entirely sure but it looks like one of the devices the Russian and Brazilian mafia use in their assassin training programs," She explains.

"Elaborate." Lorenzo says bluntly.

"Well I'm not entirely well versed in the subject but I believe they use them as a form of control to prevent assassins from abandoning missions or running away. The electric shocks are agonising and are used as a final warning before extermination which is why Miss Russo had such a panicked reaction I believe," She concluded.

I curl my fists in anger, the thought of my sister being forced to do something under the threat of death makes my skin crawl.

"Miss Russo's body has been under extreme physical duress for some time," She says solemnly, interrupting our thoughtful silence. 

"What do you mean?" Arlo asks, the concern evident in his voice.

"Well she's clearly not been eating or sleeping enough, her body is littered in scarring and we even discovered a branding."

I feel sick as my mind flashes back to that night we first went to get Darcy and the doctors in Greece told us almost the exact same thing.

"We also found something very concerning," She reveals, alarming us more as we couldn't picture anything worse than what she's already said.

"What is it," Lorenzo asks hesitantly, his voice cracking.

"When we preformed an MRI scan we found chemical and cellular changes in the brain, suggesting that it underwent extreme usage of electro shock therapy," She explained.