Fourth Picture: Eye to Eye

Start from the beginning

"Explain this filth." he orders with icy, sharp knife-like words, and a shudder rattles my spine upon hearing the brand-new tone the professor gives me. Oh, so I won't be punished for sneaking out. I'll just be beheaded for my previous fatal mistake. I'm so scared of being berated, judged, thrown out, expelled and everything bad one can imagine, that I just say the plain fact coming up in my mind first.

"I gave you the wrong notebook." my eyes are blocked open, my body is numb, I can't bring myself to look him in the eye, instead I just keep my gaze at the flowers on the cover. I'm paralyzed by embarrassment and fear. Snape's eyes widen a bit in surprise and outrage, he didn't expect me to throw him the simplest answer there is.

"The wrong notebook? You do realize I could have you expelled for this if I so wanted to? How dare you humiliate me like this?" he hisses, venom dripping from his mouth as he slams the words in my flesh like nails, pinning me to the spot with his burning, angry gaze.

"I'm sorry, sir." I hang my head in shame, clammy hands trembling, balled in a fist. I'm preparing myself for the worst sentence to arrive, staring at the stone floor with mournful eyes.

"Has it ever crossed that pea-sized brain of yours that if any other teacher saw your- art, they could easily misinterpret it, and that would result in me losing my job instantly! Did you even think about how seriously I would be held accountable? Not to mention, this would shine an awful light on the both of us!" the chiding flows out of him, thundering words making me curl up mentally more and more, until I'm almost a trembling ball on the floor.

"I'm sorry, I-I didn't think of the consequences..." my voice seems to have left me as I breathe out the words in terror, awaiting the moment when the bat announces that I'm no longer a part of this school.

"Precisely. You should be beyond thankful I was the first to find these, and no other teacher got to see them." his tone softens a bit, and the potioneer starts pacing slightly in his office with hands locked behind his back. "I don't even know what kind of punishment would suit your outrageous act. Why do you even paint pictures in this fashion? If you have such talent and interest in painting, can't you put a landscape or still life on paper!?" he makes an aggressive movement with his hand in mid air, accentuating his confusion and displeasure. Stopping in front of his fireplace, he stares a bit into the fire, and I gain a dot of courage to speak, panic prompting my mouth to try and save my butt from being expelled.

"Please don't punish me, professor." I plead with him silently. "I promise not to paint anything of the sort again, just please let me go this once." my fingers are clasped together, the words like a prayer falling into the heavy atmosphere between us. Snape doesn't move from his position, keeping his tense posture, his fist nestled in his other hand at his lower back, a small distance between his feet.

"I will write to your father about your disgraceful behavior. Tonight. Now get out." the professor says coldly, and I let out the breath I was keeping inside.

I don't dare to argue with him. Mentally I thank the gods for letting me off only with this, and after I regain my strength to move my feet, I slowly make my way towards the desk, reaching for my notebook.

"Don't you dare touch it." comes the hiss from the teacher still standing motionlessly before the hearth. "Consider it confiscated. Go."

How did he see what I was doing? Does he have eyes at his nape also? I quickly retract my hand to my chest like a scaredy-cat, and run out of the menacing atmosphere, with my heart beating in my throat. I better send a warning letter to my dad before Snape's letter reaches him. I don't know what the professor intends to write, but I will not be depicted as an angel, that's for sure.

My sprinting steps are knocking hard in the night, I don't care anymore if I'm being a bit loud, the paintings on the wall all shushing me as I pass them, but I pay them no mind. I barge in the common room, throw myself on the couch, the fire placing calming shadows on the table before the comfy furniture. Taking a piece of paper and quill in hand, I start to formulate my words with haste.

"Dear dad,

Soon you will receive (probably) a howler from professor Snape. He will berate me in his letter, and tell you, that I painted disgraceful pictures of him, and that I humiliated him in the worst way possible. Please, when you read those words, don't be mad at me. I got a small liking to the professor, and you know how I am with my paintings, so yes, indeed, I started painting nudes of my teacher, and he found out. I promised him to not do it anymore, so please don't be disappointed in me, I didn't mean any harm with my actions. No one else knows about the pictures, no need to be concerned. I simply put my feelings on paper, like I always do. Forgive me for causing you trouble.

I love you.

Your dear daughter."

I place the parchment in a red envelope, step over to my dorm window, and whistle with two fingers. My beautiful chocolate brown owl lands on the windowsill shortly, and I tie the red paper around her leg, telling her to fly as fast as possible with the important message. As the bird takes flight, I can only pray, that my letter gets opened first...