Maybe Even Special

Regina wakes up to a quiet house, all alone on Mother's Day. That is until she opens her bedroom door and finds her family in her kitchen.

A Swanqueen Mother's Day

Hello! I randomly decided to write this on a whim. Please note that I haven't proofread it, and I'm literally minutes away from going to bed.

I may or may not proofread eventually *shrugs*
----------

Regina stretched with a yawn in her large, empty bed. It felt warmer than usual, and when she blinked her eyes open, she saw that the curtains were open and the sun was shining through. 

She was positive she hadn't left her curtains open when she went to bed. Regina always closes them. And why hadn't her alarm gone off?

She rolls over and unplugs her phone, finding her usual good morning text from her best friend. A smile spreads across her face as she thinks of the blonde woman, wondering what she's up to. She's probably with her mother, celebrating the holiday. 

Regina remembers all of her Mother's Days with Henry when he was young. She was so happy that she got to witness her son and granddaughter celebrate with their wife and mother. It had been so long since she had seen her son and his beautiful family. So long since she had returned to Storybrooke. 

But she belonged here. 

With the rest of her family. 

After being crowned Queen of the United Realms, it didn't take Regina long to know that she belonged back in Storybrooke, and not in a huge castle. The castle was once a metaphor for the walls surrounding her heart. But she was safe now. Those walls were no longer needed, and neither was the castle.

Her eyes finally looked towards the top of her phone screen, and she realized it was just after 9am. How had she slept so late? Even on her days off, she woke up around 7am. 

After a few more minutes, Regina sat up and stretched her arms over head, feeling her long hair between her shoulder blades. She then used the bathroom and brushed her teeth, ready to face the day. And after deciding that she would spend the day reading in the backyard, she changed into a tank top and jean shorts. 

But as she opened her bedroom door, chatter filled the halls of her empty house. 

She stops in her tracks and closes her door again, opening it slowly. 

"Shhh she's going to hear us!" 

The brunette heard Emma's voice, followed by a giggle as she tried to quiet down whoever she was talking to. 

She took a peek down the hall, seeing that both Hope's bedroom door and Emma's were open. What were they up to?

Surely the two weren't spending the day with the Queen. They should be spending it with Snow, David and Neal. She listened closely, hearing more voices that she couldn't necessarily place. People were talking over each other. But there were giggles and whispers filling the once empty house, and it filled Regina's heart. 

Emma must have put a silencing spell on her bedroom. It was the only thing that made sense. 

She padded barefoot down the hall and then down the staircase, trying to be as quiet as possible. 

And then, without Regina's permission, tears filled her eyes. 

In her dining room, surrounding the large wooden table was her family. Along with many vases of flowers surrounding her kitchen. 

Emma, Snow and Ella were moving around the kitchen, making something that smelled like apple pie and…tamales?

Sitting at the table facing each other, with their legs crossed was Hope and Lucy. They were clapping their hands together, singing the nursery rhyme Miss Mary Mack.