Chapter 41- Karma.

Okay, I felt bad that the updates hadn't come yet so I'm putting this chapter back up but it's got extra in it. Little recap at the start for you as well :)

---

The whirring noise of the library returned, but it wasn't as comforting as it had been before.

Brynn picked up her pen from the floor and placed it in the middle of her paper. By the time Silas had finished one page and was turning it over to write on the back of it, Brynn had managed to move her pen into seven different positions around the page to align it with different things.

She had also not done well to turn a blind eye to the swelling thoughts and feelings that were itching to shake her hands and legs. She shouldn't have agitated Silas like that. She should be doing her work right now. No, her work should be done by now.

So many thoughts like those repeated over and over and over, until they were rinsed out by what Silas said next.

"If I buy you a lemonade, will you stop thinking so loud?" he was looking up.

Brynn bit the inside of her cheek, she was only allowed to have a lemonade occasionally. Callan only gave them to her every once in a while. This didn't feel like a special occasion.

Nevertheless, she didn't want to agitate Silas further than she already had. Nodding, she let go of the pen she was attempting to put into an eighth position, "yes, please."

Silas sighed, pushing his chair out and standing up to walk over to one of the many vending machines that were by the library entrance, that were just in Brynn's eyeline.

He came back, putting the yellow can with lemon designs on it in front of her. She gulped, "thank you," and waited for what she felt was a good amount of time before reaching forward to bring it closer.

"You went into the university building?"

Brynn nodded, picking at the packaging that her sandwich was held in.

Penny grinned, "what was it like?"

The former let her lips upturn at the corners, "really cool."

She stopped picking at the packaging and sat up a bit more to look at her friends better. "The hallways are huge and- and there's five vending machines in the library."

Aubrey slammed her water bottle onto the table, "five? We don't even get one!"

Penny leaned back in her seat, staring off as if into the distance but only really at the library table where they usually ate lunch. "So cool," she muttered.

"Sounds awesome," Aubrey opened her packet of crisps, the crinkling of the package louder in the room, causing the librarian who's never too far away to scowl; Aubrey gave a sheepish look in apology and reached into the packet anyway. "I can't wait to be old enough to go there."

Penny nodded, "me neither." She looked towards Brynn, "and you got a lemonade too. I didn't know schools were allowed to sell fizzy drinks to students. University sounds so much better."

"Well, aren't university students technically adults?" Brynn asked, picking at the bread.

Penny breathed a laugh, "I don't think so. My brother finished university last year and he still can't work the vacuum."

Brynn chuckled, finally picking up the sandwich and taking a bite of it. They fell into a comfortable silence for a few seconds, before Aubrey spoke.

"How did it go with Silas?" she asked, almost hesitantly.