Pyrenean Mountain Dog

FACTS

Possibly the best known of the livestock guardian breeds, the Pyrenean Mountain Dog is an immensely strong, huge, heavy bodied dog with a thick coat. Despite their size they should be elegant and well balanced with a smooth movement driven by powerful hindquarters.

PERSONALITY

Whilst Pyreneans can make affectionate and loving companions to their families, they are inclined toward aggression to strange dogs, particularly those of a similar size. Strangers will be at best mistrusted and at worst, a Pyrenean may react aggressively to those they deem unwelcome and threatening, so careful socialisation and training is advised.

Often described as headstrong and stubborn, the reality is that this is a bred long bred for a willingness to use aggression if they think necessary and an independent nature, ready to make decisions for themselves without the input of their owners. This means they really are not suitable for first-time owners as they are hard to motivate in training and must be managed very carefully.

INFO

Lifespan: 10 – 12 years

Weight: 36-54kg

Height: 66-81cm

Colours: They are typically white or white with patches of badger, wolf-grey, lemon, orange or tan on their heads, ears and root of the tail

Size: Giant

THE-NEED-TO-KNOW

Dog suitable for experienced owners

Extra training required

Enjoys active walks

Enjoys walking one to two hours a day

Giant dog

Heavy drool

Requires grooming daily

Non hypoallergenic breed

Very vocal dog

Guard dog.

Barks, alerts and it's physically protective

May require training to live with other pets

May require training to live with kids