Beagle

FACTS

The Beagle is one of the best known and loved of all the hound group. They're intelligent, happy, and outgoing but also have quite a mischievous nature, so they might get in trouble pretty often, especially if left alone for long periods of time. However, with the right training and most importantly, the right treats, Beagles can be incentivized to behave properly.

Even though the Beagle size doesn't usually exceed 40 cm, they won't be very comfortable living in a small apartment as they need plenty of space to run around and burn off the excess energy.

PERSONALITY 

This is a happy, easy-going dog who is full of life and fun to be around. The Beagle personality is very good-natured and, as they were bred to be pack animals, will get along with most other dogs. They love children, but need to be exposed to cats at an early age in order to develop good relationships with them, and may never be safe with strange cats or small furries.

The Beagle is a good watchdog, barking at anything unusual, although once the burglar is indoors, the Beagle may prefer a game with him! The Beagle suits an owner or family who want an active, affectionate, cheerful dog who loves getting involved in games and activities but who are able to cope with their selective attitude to obedience and lack of reliable recall.

INFO 

Lifespan: 12-15 years

Weight: 10-11kg

Height: 33-40cm

Colors: Tricolour (black, tan and white); blue, white and tan; badger pied; hare pied; lemon pied; lemon and white; red and white; tan and white; black and white; all white. These colours can also be mottled, with the exception of all white

Size: Medium

THE-NEED-TO-KNOW

Dog suitable for owners with some experience

Extra training required

Generally healthy breed

Enjoys active walks

Enjoys one to two hours of walking a day

Medium dog

Some drool

Requires grooming once a week

Chatty and vocal dog

Barks and alerts to visitors/anything unusual

Generally friendly with other dogs

Gets along with other pets with training

Great family dog

Needs a large garden

Can live in semi-rural areas

Can be left occasionally with training