Jack Russell Terrier

FACTS

This terrier type dog rather unusually has two pedigree versions, the Jack Russell Terrier and the Parson Russell Terrier – but the dog that most people recognize as a Jack Russell (the short-legged, slightly barrel-shaped feisty little terrier that is one of the UK's most popular breeds) isn't a recognized breed at all! These terrier are typically between 10" and 14" tall at the shoulder (although sometimes can be smaller), may be smooth, broken or wire coated, and come in all colours – usually white with colored patches of either black or tan or black with tan points. 

PERSONALITY

This is the ultimate 'big dog in a small body'. A Jack has no idea they are little dogs and will happily take on the world with a wag and a twinkle in their eye!

All Jack Russell type terriers should be friendly to people, filled with fun and a strong sense of humor, affable and cheekiness – and slightly roguish! This is a working dog who can go from casually stealing a chip from your plate in the pub garden, to diving into the hedgerow and fetching out a now-deceased rat, and come back to chip-scrounging in seconds. Fast moving, fast thinking and cheerfully impulsive!

Typical Jacks are not overly tolerant of fussing and prodding, and they don't possess the greatest impulse control – owners should be prepared to work on this, and manage their expectations reasonably. They might never be safe with cats (especially unknown ones - although most will learn to live with their own) and definitely not safe with 'small furries'.

INFO

Lifespan: 13-16 years

Weight: 6-8kg

Height: 25-35cm

Colors: All colours, usually white with black/tan markings.

Size: Small

THE-NEED-TO-KNOW

Dog suitable for owners with some experience

Basic training required

Generally healthy breed

Enjoys active walks

Enjoys one to two hours of walking a day

Small dog

Minimum drool

Requires grooming once a week

Chatty and vocal dog

Barks and alerts to visitors/anything unusual

Could have issues with unknown dogs but gets along with known dogs

May need additional training to live with other pets

May need additional supervision to live with children

Needs a small garden

Can live in semi-rural areas

Can be left occasionally with training