Chapter 49 | The last Evening

Start from the beginning

Her hesitation stretches. Then, Helaine comes into view. Her and the sailor Rhince's young daughter trails after the woman, eyes lowered to the gravel. Here and there she bends down to pick up a pebble. Holding it up into the light, she decides whether to keep it. If so, she pockets the stone and continues. Helaine bows her head respectfully to the man before addressing Luna,

» You didn't like the stuffed courtroom either, hm? « The warrior shrugs, causing the middle-aged woman to laugh,

» Alright, I won't ask. Walk with me instead? « She turns to the man,

» If you leave her to me, Breon? « The white-haired chuckles, waving them off,

» You youngsters go and enjoy this beautiful day. « Wasting no time, Helaine loops her arm through Luna's, pulling her up and along the path. Luna has barley time to say goodbye.

*

» Is he always so... positive? « The warrior stretches in the grass. Helaine lies next to her, basking in the sun. She may count a good ten winters more than Luna, yet she still seems youthful.

» Who? Breon? « Helaine turns her head to the Crown Shield, blowing a few strands of dark hair from her face,

» Always. « The answer is simple but fits well. After a moment's silence, Helaine sits up. She searches for Gael who wanders through the gardens, calling her over. The girl comes running immediately. Puffing her cheeks, she plops down between her mother and her new friend. Luna watches, noticing the change in Rhince's wife. The lightness vanished from her features and posture, only now returning as Gael is in reach.

» Are you alright? « Helaine runs her hands through her daughter's hair, pondering over the question. As she lifts her eyes to meet Luna's gaze, fearful honesty speaks before her lips do.

» Yes, yes. I- « she sighs, releasing Gael as the girl is drawn to a nearby fountain,

» I just doubt we can be as happy here as we were before... « She smiles half-heartedly,

» Maybe it's silly, but I wish we could go somewhere else, start anew. « As she glances at Luna almost shyly, the warrior smiles,

» Narnia maybe? « They look at each other, then laugh heartily. Afterwards Helaine explains why - even though Luna can fathom. Continuing to live on the Lone Islands after everything that has happened with the slave traders is difficult. People got used to live in fear, not knowing if they will see each other again upon leaving the house. This is not a home anymore. Gael, however, needs a real home, a place to belong, to feel at ease. Since Rhince befriended the crew of the Dawn Treader, and their time together on the Star's Island, Helaine sees a possible future in Narnia. Luna thinks of home. She will always have someone to come home to. The people of Owlwood are practically her family. She was raised there from an early age, alongside little satyrs, centaurs, and many more creatures of Narnia. Even though she has no friends in court, Cair Paravel doesn't only house nobles, after all. Furthermore, Luna built Narnia's most elite guild. These men, women, boys, girls, and anyone in between were chosen and trained by her. Most of them were young, orphaned in the Revolution, and yet not ready to yield to sorrow. In a program Caspian called to life after his coronation these children were gathered and given new homes in freshly built orphanages and foster families. Luna travelled through the country to see to it. A few of those kids didn't want to leave her again, the warrior at the king's side. They have grown into a sort of family - maybe a strange one, but still. Altogether, Luna is very thankful for the people in her life, Aslan guided it well. There is no need to feel lonely for her, but she understands. It is barley comparable, yet she feels this strange disconnection when at court. That she has no friends there, isn't entirely true, though. Above all, she has Caspian.