~chapter 16~

I didn't get any sleep that night. I cried, hoping the pain that i had experienced in my life would just leave me alone, but it never did.

My phone vibrated on the bedside table, and I leaned over to check the time. I usually don't sleep in very late, but today was different.

I heard a knock on my door and instantly knew it was Ted. He knew everything about me and definitely knew i wasn't one for sleeping in this late.

I rolled over and faced the wall as Ted opened the door. I heard it close and felt the bed dip down. There was silence until he broke it.

"I don't know what happened between you two last night,but I can tell you're upset," he stated, staring at the closed door.

"Really, how so?" I asked, laughing as my throat was hoarse.

"You're my best friend, I know when you're upset. What happened?"

"It wasn't him, it was me. I did this to myself, thinking about her. " I said as my eyes watered.

"Don't do that, Nora. It's not your fault she's gone,"

"I could've stopped her Ted." I gave in and let the tears fall.

"You tried to Nora, that's all that matters," he tried to comfort me.

"Yeah, well, I didn't try hard enough, and she didn't care enough to stay."

"If it'll make you feel better, schlatts gone. Visiting a family friend. He'll  be gone another while so you can come out and get something to eat. "

"Ok," I said as my throat ached for some water.

"And you'll probably need some aspirin," he smiled.

"Yeah, no shit," I laughed.

"Come on, I'll make you a smoothie," he said as he dragged me out the door.

"Worst six hundred dollars you ever wasted Ted." I insulted him as a joke.

"HEY! My smoothie mixers the best, " he shouted at me from the kitchen as I insulted his precious smoothie maker.

Suddenly, I forgot all about last night.