Elias walked closer and looked at his wife.

Iris was hunched over on the ground, gasping for air as she clutched her throat. Her face contorted with pain, and her eyes were red and swollen from crying. Sweat glistened on her forehead, and her hair was matted to her face, damp with sweat.

Dark bruises were visible around her neck, a stark contrast against her pale skin. They were deep and angry, like finger marks left behind after a brutal assault. The swollen and tender skin to the touch, it was clear that she was strangled.

Who dared to do that?

He knelt beside Iris and took her into his arms, cradling her gently. He could feel her trembling with shock and fear, and he held her tightly, hoping to offer some comfort amid such a horrific experience.

"It's okay," he whispered, his voice filled with tender emotion. "I'm here. You're safe now."

Iris buried her face in his chest, her body shaking with sobs.

"Oh, for the fucks sake. I don't even remember your name," Jasper hissed. His nails dug into the woman's hand as she yelped in pain.

"J-Jasper, please don't," Iris called out weakly. They had promised. They had promised to change for her, not to kill or harm anyone.

Jasper's grip on the woman's hand tightened as he glared at her with anger and contempt. His face morphed in a scowl, as he looked like he was about to explode with outrage.

"Jasper, please."

But as he looked into Iris's tear-filled eyes, something inside him seemed to shift. He remembered the promise they had made to her, to try to change their ways, to stop the violence and the killing.

For a moment, he hesitated- torn between his anger and his desire to keep that promise. He could feel the woman struggling in his grasp, trying to break free, and he knew he could easily overpower her.

But then he looked at Iris again, and Jasper saw the hope and the fear in her eyes. He realized that she was counting on them, she wanted them to change for her sake, and he felt a pang of guilt and remorse.

Slowly, he released his grip on the woman's hand, and she stumbled back, gasping for breath. Jasper stood up and stepped back, his fists clenched at his sides.

"I don't want to see your face again," he growled. "Get out of here before I change my mind."

The woman ran away, casting fearful glances over her shoulder as she disappeared into the darkness.

Jasper turned back to Iris, his expression softening as he looked at her battered and bruised neck. His fists clenched so tightly that his knuckles turned white, and his whole body seemed to coil like a spring, ready to strike.

"I'm sorry," he whispered. "I shouldn't have lost control like that."

Iris looked up at him, her eyes full of gratitude and relief. He is changing... warmth filled her. She sighed in relief.

"Please, Jasper," she said softly. "I want us to change. I want us to be better. For each other and our future."

Jasper nodded. "I know," he said. "I'll do my best. For you."

Elias and Jasper's eyes met, silently agreeing on what needed to be done. Elias scooped Iris up in his arms, holding her close to his chest, as Jasper quickly typed a message on his phone.

 Elias scooped Iris up in his arms, holding her close to his chest, as Jasper quickly typed a message on his phone

"Get that woman," he ordered his henchman.

"Right away, boss," Edward replied, already moving towards the door.

Elias held Iris tightly but gently. "Don't worry, darling. We won't leave you alone again." His jaw clenched in anger. He couldn't believe someone had dared to hurt his precious wife. She was his world, his everything, and he would do anything to protect her.

"Let's get you home," he said softly, placing a gentle kiss on her forehead. Iris weakly wrapped her arms around his neck, her face buried in the crook of his neck. "Umm," she breathed. " You both are my home now."

They swore their heart raced, but so did their anger.

Iris was the sun that lit up their world, the compass that directed them through the murkiest waters, and the precious gem they would guard with their lives.

She was the essence of their being, the heart that beat with each step they took, and the love that filled their souls. Iris was not just their partner but the missing piece that completed them, and they would go to any length to keep her safe.

Why did we leave her alone? What the hell was her shadow guards doing when they were gone?

----

Once they got into the car, Elias cradled Iris in his arms, holding her close and murmuring soothing words in her ear. Jasper paced back and forth, his fists clenched at his sides, his mind racing with thoughts of revenge.

But even in their anger, they couldn't help but feel a deep love and devotion towards Iris.

She was the sun around which their entire universe revolved around. And so, they vowed to protect her at all costs, to be her shield against the world and everything in it.

Elias glanced down at Iris, who was sleeping soundly on his lap, and his anger began to dissipate. He stroked her hair gently, feeling her soft curls slip through his fingers. She was his everything, his light in the darkness, his reason for living.

He leaned down and placed a soft kiss on her forehead, savoring the sweet scent of her hair

He couldn't bear the thought of anything happening to her. His protectiveness towards her was bordering on obsession, but he couldn't help it.

I don't mind being obsessed with her. She is mine. All mine.

And my brother's, she is.... ours.

And he would do anything to keep her safe.

"We will protect you no matter the cost. Even if it means breaking your promise and killing people, baby."

Poor girl, she can't catch a break. 😶

To be continued....

Vote. Comment. Follow.

Follow my Instagram for book updates: @vairhans