Chapter 43 ~ Bear

Start from the beginning

He picks up on the third ring. 

"Hey Rose, what's up?" Jacob's tone sounds cheerful, he most likely just saw Rebecca. 

"I'm currently down the walking trail that's by Cyrus's house and there's a bear with her cubs right in front of me. Not sure what to do. If you could come pick me up or something that would be great. No worries though if you can't" If not I'll just get eaten by a mother bear trying to protect her cubs from the most non threat there is. 

What am I gonna do? Punch a bear? Don't be ridiculous. 

If anything I'll just run the other way screaming. 

And to think I wanted to go for a nice jog today. This is just my luck. 

"What the fuck, Rose!? I'll be right there. Don't move unless you have to. Cyrus would kill not just me but everyone if he came back and found out you died from a bear. Died at all really" He mutters the last part and hangs up the phone. 

I slowly tuck it back into my pocket and stand there like I'm frozen. 

Maybe if I act like a tree, she'll think I'm tree. 

Don't bears climb trees though? I don't want her climbing me. 

I watch the cubs run around and play, almost reminding me of Rebecca and I growing up. All we had was each other. We wanted our mom but out father made sure she couldn't love us the way she wanted to. 

We weren't allowed much affection from her and the only affection we got from our father was his anger. Even then he didn't touch us. 

People could see bruises and black eyes, they couldn't see the hateful words spat after having too much to drink. 

So me and Rebecca went to each other and it's stayed that way all these years later. Even now with both parents gone. 

I'm snapped out of my thoughts from a gun shot behind me. I jump with a small shriek and duck down. 

The bears run off into the woods. 

"Good timing, the mother bear looked like she was wandering closer" Jacob says from behind me. I hadn't even noticed. 

"Did you shoot them?" I ask, looking down at the regular hand gun. 

He shakes his head, "Just fired it into the air to scare them off. I would never shoot a mother bear or her cubs. They are a part of mother nature" He says and begins to walk back to the house. 

I walk beside and it's quiet for most the of the walk until he speaks up, "Are you okay? I haven't really asked you that since Cyrus left."

I put on a big smile, "I'm great. Just won the lottery last week and just got done beating up a big bear. Should have seen the look in her eye, she was petrified of me. As she should be" I hold up my small fists and pretend to jab the air. I even do a small kick. 

Gotta really show him what she was up against. 

"I'm trying to have a serious conversation with you" He sighs. 

I stop punching the air, "And I'm trying to avoid it" I say, looking out a head of us as Cyrus's house comes into view. 

He doesn't say anything so I speak up again, knowing he does really care about me, "I'm okay, J. It's not like he's dead or anything. He'll be back soon. I do miss him but hes just undercover" I shrug. 

He looks at me, studies me, and then gives me a small smile. 

I nudge him in the arm gently with a teasing smile, "How's Rebecca" I ask. 

A faint red blush creeps up his neck to the tips of his ears. Happens every time anyone says her name. 

He looks down at the ground smiling, "She looks really pretty today." And that's all he says. 

We arrive back at the house and we go our separate ways. 

I take a quick shower before putting on my favourite pair of fluffy socks and sweatpants with one of Cyrus's t shirts. 

I sit down at the desk and pull our a piece of paper. 

Dear Cyrus, 

I saw a bear today. A mother bear and her 2 cubs. 

The cubs were adorable but I was busy trying not to die- I mean beat her up, to really notice. 

And before you get all worried, I called Jacob and he came and got me. 

I left without a scratch. Can't say that for mama bear though, I really did some damage on her. 

Jacob blushed when I mentioned Rebecca's name. I swear they like each other. 

Rebecca doesn't think she'll have enough time for him being a CEO and thinks he deserves someone who as all the time in the world for him. And I'm pretty sure he think he isn't good enough for her. He literally kisses the ground she walks on. 

I hope they get together but if they don't then that's their choice. Can't force love.

Seeing the cubs though made me think a lot about Rebecca and what it was like growing up. 

I don't like my childhood and I wish I had a nice loving household growing up but it got me here, to you, and that's all I ever need in life. 

I miss your stupidly attractive face. 

Come home safe. 3 months left. 

Love, 

Your Rose. 

Word count: 1437

I had no clue what to write for this chapter so this all came out of the blue so if it's bad then that's why. 

I'm trying to still keep the book good without Cyrus here. And don't worry, he'll be back soon. 

Big things coming to stay tuned!