3

Few days spend by just like that and I didn't see him since that night at the Feast Hall. He would avoid dinners choosing not to eat with the royal family, a chance no one else let go of but he on the other hand..!

I was walking across the fighting ground where many warriors were practicing and I saw Ares there guiding some of the young soldiers as they spar. His hands were on his back, his stance hard giving off a dark aura. He looked intimidating and I saw many grown men quivering in his presence.

He had a frown marred on his face as he yelled a command at someone. Maybe he felt my gaze on him because the next moment he looked my way. His frown vanished for a moment but then it came again and he looked away from me as if he doesn't want to see me. And that didn't set well with me so I made my way towards him.

"Princess" he bowed his head a little in greeting after few long moments of contemplation but still didn't looked my way. I wanted to hold his head and make him to meet my eyes. I crossed my arms across my chest as I sized him up. I barely came down to his chest, he is much taller than me and double my size.

From up close I could see his hard features, he has little scars on his face some barely there but few more prominent and on their way to healing. His forhead creased in lines from years of frowning. I wanted to rub my fingers on his frohead to remove those creases to stop him from frowning and ruining his features.

"May I ask the reason for your presence here, princess?" He asked, his voice a little stern as his eyes set on the soldiers in the ground. The way he said princess didn't seem right with me, it's as if he is proving a point if not to me than to him. As if he is reminding himself of who I am!

"As you said I am the Princess, this is my Palace, my city. I can go wherever I want, whenever I want!" My voice turned out harder than intended. He tensed a little but didn't said anything back, his gaze still ahead on the soldiers as he yelled some orders at them. I scoffed at his effort of not trying to meet my eyes.

"I didn't know our brave warrior couldn't make eye contact with a girl" I taunted with a small smirk and that seems to did the deed because the next moment his eyes met mine with such fervor that I suppressed a gasp at the intensity I saw in his eyes. What'd wrong with him? What changed him? Was it my refusal?

"You are a Princess, a higher status. It's merely out of respect" he said while I saw him fisting his hands. The way he said higher status, it seemed he is taunting me.

"As if!" I scoffed and rolled my eyes at him.

"Don't!" He growled lowly and it took only a moment for me to realize that he didn't like me rolling my eyes at him. Interesting!

"You are in no place to give me orders. Know your place" I met his gaze with firmness but he didn't cower away as others do instead he met my gaze with equal fervour that momentarily left me paralysed.

"Oh believe me, princess. I know very well where I stand" he said with mixed emotions, the emotions came in his eyes and vanished the next moment not giving me the chance to know his inner feelings.

"Good for you then!" I retorted back as I move to turn back but I saw king, my father coming our way with a huge smile.

"Father!" I curtsied as he stood infront of us. He kissed my head gently and then turn towards Ares who greeted him.

"What a sight!" My father gushed softly while looking at both of us as we were now standing side by side. I didn't understand what he was implying but Ares on the other hand gets uncomfortable and cleared his throat.

"I wanted to talk to you Ares about something very important" said the king while he looked at Ares. It was my cue to leave but as I made a move to go, he stopped me.