Chapter 81 - The Last Battle

Start from the beginning

"Negative," the droid says, stubbornly, "I calculate that this will be my only opportunity to end the Clone Wars as I planned, with a victory for the Separatist Alliance."

"Well, I don't know if you've noticed, but you can't win a war that's already ended. We aren't fighting for the Republic anymore," Marr retorts.

"And I never did," Anastasia adds, sounding vaguely disgusted, "I'm Mandalorian. I would never fight for the Republic."

"Then you shall remain here as a hostage for them to rescue in the battle," the droid replies simply.

"What battle?" Rex demands.

"I want you to fight," it responds, "To prove once and for all whose tactical strategy was superior."

"Well, you can count me out," Zeb snarls, "I'm not playing some stupid war game."

"That is correct, Lasat. Your species were not in the Clone Wars, so you and the Mandalorians will be the hostages your allies must save. The 'Jedi Rescue' is a recurring scenario based on 132 battles I have reviewed." Seriously? The droid is going to make them fight just in the hopes that it can win? Really, droid programming. He can't believe this is happening.

And nor does he see any way out of the situation without getting someone killed. He could use the Force, but the droids are stationed all around the room, and they'll open fire the moment he makes a move. He can't believe he has to worry about this again. Actually, he can't believe how easy it is to fall back into those old habits, checking for droid positions and any possible exits. It's different than fighting people.

"Jedi, is this your padawan?" the droid presses.

"Most of the time," Kanan replies, shooting Ezra a look.

"Good. A complete set of Republic opponents will make this authentic."

"No, it won't, because we're not fighting!" Rex snaps.

"If you will not fight, you will be terminated," the droid replies, leaning forward over him.

"You know, none of us find that threatening," Marr can't resist saying. Okay, he really is beginning to feel like a teen again.

"Yeah, you're just a droid," Anastasia scoffs.

BD beeps, sounding hurt.

"Then you can hope your Jedi will be able to save you, Mandalorian," the tactical droid replies.

"Fine, I'll fight your Clone War!" Ezra snaps.

"What?!" Rex yelps.

"Ezra, no!" Kanan exclaims.

"Look, there's no way out of this," Marr cuts in, "We've done this so many times over. I know it may not be... easy –" for emotional reasons, more than anything else, "– but it will be fastest."

"I don't see why this is even a debate," Anastasia replies.

"We'll do it," Ezra declares, turning to the droid, "But if we win, our friends go free, and we take all the proton bombs in the hangar."

"I accept your terms," the droid says, surprisingly.

"Didn't know they could be so reasonable," Marr mumbles, under his breath. He doesn't like being kept out of this, but it will work for them in the end. He has a feeling it will be... important somehow. He knows better than to ignore those feelings.

All he can do is watch as Kanan, Ezra, Rex, and BD are escorted out of the room. They should be able to handle themselves, but that doesn't mean he isn't worried. He doesn't know if it's better or worse that he's able to see the fight from here.